The EMTLIFE version of "SNOPES" and "MYTHBUSTERS" combined.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
(With a little Jackass thrown in).

Ever hear something which just doesn't sound right, is counterintuitive, in EMS?

Have a possible means to try it out (without blowing or burning up anything or anybody)?

How about sharing it here? And three Mycrofft bucks (equals one wheat stalk penny) for a video YOU produced (on your honor).

Nothing causing harm or annoyance to animals or younger siblings , incapacitated patients, etc.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Chumming the waters: Does pulse ox measure acute subjective oxygen debt?

Tape on a pulse ox. Take a resting baseline.

Do jumping jacks with two N-90 masks sealed over your mouth and nose until you feel out of breath. (No passing out now).

Take measurement immediately, then at one minute intervals afterwards.

Do the results concur with your expectations?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Why don't you start. Post your videos and share with the class....

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

What, and break the website? :huh: You first!

I actually did the pulse ox and mask thing in response to an exchange with the guy at Fort Deterick MD who was taking feedback about chem warfare gear. He told me it wouldn't work, I disbelieved him, and then sweated through a pair of scrubs proving myself wrong.

If I had a gas cylinder and a nasal cannula I'd figure out a way to actually test how overflowing a standard nasal cannula affects the actual LPM delivery at the pt end.

Or compare the lpm, of gasses robbed by a Yankauer suction tip on good portable suction compares to lpm of air normally inspired (to the tune of "too much suction won't let the pt breathe").

Or if one has the equipment, see what effects various maneuvers to combat hyperventilation really have since what's taught seems to be all empirical (paper bag, versus pull up the t-shirt and breathe through it, versus get them talking, versus dry cleaner's bag…skip the last one please).

I can think of others. Belt buckle ambulance litter-lifting. Stair chair versus ambulance litter for safe time from top to bottom. Stair chair with manikin for spinal instability. Things like that.