The cat among the pigeons

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
BOSTON - Distributing portable defibrillators to restart a quivering heart -- and training the public to use them -- can double the survival rate for people who have collapsed from cardiac arrest, according to a massive North American study.

Meanwhile, a second study concluded that rescue workers who try to save cardiac arrest patients by inserting a breathing tube and giving drugs may be wasting their time.

Full story click: MSNBC

Basically, ALS patients apparently have a 0.1% better chance than with BLS.

CHICAGO - Many caregivers perform CPR incorrectly and fail to restart stopped hearts by not adhering to strict guidelines governing the frequency and force of chest compressions, a pair of studies said on Tuesday.
Full story click: MSNBC2

We suck at CPR!

(Takes cover and hunkers down!) :ph34r:

Summit

Critical Crazy
lets see those studies

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Same thing "Thumper, Inc" and Zoll/Reviviant have been saying for years. Human compressions suck. Machines are nice.

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I end up doing lots of compressions - especially when i see idiots doing it wrong, i switch in & take over. then later i discuss the finer points of CPR with them.

ECC

Forum Captain
Oh, I dunno...seems to work OK for me and my average of 10 saves a year.

Statistics can be made to say whatever you want them to.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I bet the people that said EMS do it wrong, have never done CPR themselves. They just want to blame us for lack of technology.

and services can't just go out and buy these things and impliment them into treatment. They have to be approved.. and our local regions refuse to hear about new things. They won't even approve the use of the ACS over saran wrap.. They say it hasn't been proven. My father was a corpsman in Vietnam, when they started to use the flutter valve, and he said it was the best invention they had. Otherwise they used plastic from cigarette packs.

Oh.. I forgot.. I live in PA, and things are done based on how much business they can create for the funeral homes. :rolleyes: