The Brain and Sugar

skyemt

Forum Captain
Hi all...

it's my understanding that the brain metabolizes sugar differently than the rest of the body...

can someone please clarify this for me?

thanks

pa8109

Forum Ride Along
RE: Brain and Sugar

You are partially correct. If there is any conflict by anyone on this, please correct me, as I am trying to recall all that endocrine/cellular metabolism from A & P. The brain does not metabolize glucose differently, however, glucose is the sole source of energy for cerebral cells, hence one of the many reasons hyopglycemia causes altered mental status. In an aerobic state, barring no abnormalities, all cells utilize glucose or its substiuents to create energy by intricate processes (glycolysis, Kreb's Cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation). But here's the thing, most cells can use fatty acids or proteins in this process should there be a deficit of glucose. An example would be when your running wind-sprints. Your bodys muscle cells are depleted of glucose, so it switches to alternative fuel sources to create energy. Brain cells lack the necessary enzymes to break down fatty acids and proteins into substituents that they can use for energy. So whats the point? The process by which the glucose is broken down is not different, it's just that brain cells only get there energy from glucose.

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
The brain does not metabolize glucose differently, however, glucose is the sole source of energy for cerebral cells, hence one of the many reasons hyopglycemia causes altered mental status.

...But here's the thing, most cells can use fatty acids or proteins in this process should there be a deficit of glucose.

..... brain cells only get there energy from glucose.

And I think this is the most relevant at the basic level. The brain is limited to burning sugar. The rest of the body can use alternative fuels when sugar is low.

OP
OP
S

skyemt

Forum Captain
ok... that makes a lot of sense...

now, does the brain utilize insulin in the same manner as the rest of the body?

jrm818

Forum Captain
And I think this is the most relevant at the basic level. The brain is limited to burning sugar. The rest of the body can use alternative fuels when sugar is low.

That's not quite accurate. The brain can utilize ketones for energy as well as glucose. They cannot use fatty acids like the rest of the body, however.

jrm818

Forum Captain
Missed your second question sky. Current understanding of brain metabolism is incomplete, and information about the role of insulin is as well. A quick search turned up the following:

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/51/12/3384

However, he bulk of research relating to insulin's actions in the brain focuses on its role as a marker for systemic conditions and a signaling agent, specifically for satiety (another ill-understood phenomenon), rather than its role in metabolism. It has also been implicated in a number of other brain processes (notably disease processes like Alzheimer's). A decent summary (shorter and easier read than the numerous relevant studies is) is here:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2006/01/30/insulin_in_the_brain/

The link above is good too (and it mentions ketones briefly).