the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
What's that word for the cascade of actions caused by capillary damage the causes cell death in the area due to acidosis and building toxins?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I was looking at EMT life. Dead ends 😒 💀

I think I've got the answer written in a previous homework assignment.
My point was you were asking for the answer to be given to you. Sometimes it is better if you go find it on your own. Knowing how to research something may be beneficial in the long run.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I was looking at EMT life. Dead ends 😒 💀

I think I've got the answer written in a previous homework assignment.

Im not that old but textbooks must still be a thing? I still reference my textbooks every now and again.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
My point was you were asking for the answer to be given to you. Sometimes it is better if you go find it on your own. Knowing how to research something may be beneficial in the long run.

Oh I understand.

I would have been thrilled if someone said the answer. I CAN look other places. This isn't the end all be all and I think y'all think I ask for too much looking for the easier path. I do. *shrug*

Can you blame me for hoping for the answer easily?

Im not that old but textbooks must still be a thing? I still reference my textbooks every now and again.

I have heard of these things. I might even be able to read one!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Also, answer: Capillary Washout. I was thinking Capillary Shock which didn't yield search results I was hoping for
Going to make a prediction here...you'll probably remember this for a long while now.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Going to make a prediction here...you'll probably remember this for a long while now.

Forget what?

I was trying to remember that thing about capillaries and leaking and killing tissue causing too much myoglobin for those bean shaped delicious body lemonade filters.

😏

Unfortunately (I mean it's good but like I don't like it) y'all have that parenting approach like when a toddler says he can't walk anymore and you just tell them to use their legs and walk away 😔

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I mean, I had 3 FTOs at AMR due to the ankle breaking thing.

The first taught me some stuff, how to do paperwork and small things. He also taught me what complacency gets you and to consequences of not asking for help. He finally got his Amazon gig where he did nothing but sit in a warehouse. Perfect for him. He wanted to be "cool" and chill and had the "I don't give a ****" attitide. I confused calm with complacency with him. What happens to you in EMS when you should have gotten out 10 years prior and missed all your exits. Burned out and morally lacking. Was still trying to live as if he was 25 and nothing mattered. He at least figured out I was missing my exits not because I didn't listen, but because my eyeglasses prescription was no longer what I needed and I couldn't actually read the signs from a reasonable distance. Also he had his partner give him Solumedrol in his deltoid because he had bad allergies. He said it hurt like a *****. We were all basics.

The second was a woman who experienced, but kind and caring. A part time supervisor. She was the only supervisor that was a basic because her mother had horrible health problems and she had to drop out of paramedic school to care for her until she died. I think she had complications from a stroke, among other things. She had expectations and was very teaching. She was the kind that refused to let me use the LP15 for vitals because she wanted me to be able to take a manual. Because I was honest and eager to learn, she worked with me. I would tell her that I couldn't get the BP, couldn't hear it, or what I thought it was. I took hundreds of BPs manually before I got the hang of it. After going to a different service and not having a monitor regularly, I learned what happens when you only learn how to use a monitor. People just threw random numbers in the chart or said they couldn't get a BP because it's too difficult on someone that should be cake. They didn't even palp a BP. They didn't know what to do to get a BP on someone with bilateral arm limb alerts, legs apparently don't exist. Through her patient but firm insistence on being a good and competent provider, I learned so much from her. Relearned lifting and pt moving techniques and so much more. What it meant to be a GOOD EMT. That moment she'd give that smile and nod when I got it right. Felt good to meet her standard. That woman saved my EMS career, I'm convinced. I had to unlearn a lot from my last FTO. Me and my boyfriend still refer to her as "Mom". She's back in medic school now. She's going to be a great medic. I'm happy for her.

Last FTO, firm and hard edged, but still very teaching. Taught me a lot about making own confidence and working with others and in teams. The importance of having thicker skin in the job.

I truly learned a lot at my time at AMR.

We also have a "dad" of AMR. Another supervisor, old guy. A little less trim, but with a mustache that a firefighter would defer to. A county man who sells eggs on the side. Great sense of humor. He'll always tell it to you straight and he'll you work on a problem, even if it means you've got to ask yourself stuff. Soft-spoken, but he's the one who most regularly takes calls when we're super busy. CCT and he's got lots of old stories about rural EMS with a twinkle in his eye. I've never seen the man upset. Solid as an oak.

I miss that place. Felt like family.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?