the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Caved and did my own....

Turned out pretty good. Might save some more cash going forward.

Probably isn’t that hard when you use a wahl clipper and a 0.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I went with short but not 0

I still need style for when this Boogaloo kicks off.

California has declared itself a nation-state by the Governors order.

President Newsom! He didn't coin that term but it is trending on social media... hahahaha.
That's a hard genie to put back in the bottle.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

President Newsom! He didn't coin that term but it is trending on social media... hahahaha.

Just think about all the savings on hair care products ! And the reduction in electricity bill, no more fan dryers - just buff it up with a towel [emoji1303]

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan

Your haircut needs to be higher and tighter for the large ice domicile.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

Im sure he wouldnt hesitate to buy all that PPE with Federal money though.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Probably isn’t that hard when you use a wahl clipper and a 0.
It works, you dont see me talking about needing a haircut.
I shaved my head for many years, and saved a ton on haircuts and upkeep. Ultimately I got tired of the look.
Caved and did my own....

Turned out pretty good. Might save some more cash going forward.
You are a braver man than I, sir. I bought some steel scissors to trim around the edges of my hairline til the non-essential ban lifts.

That said, if I’m going into the warmer months with this shag I will be taking this back down to the boot-camp special.
80742CB6-3F85-4871-B495-C0EC4AF975B2.gif

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That said, if I’m going into the warmer months with this shag I will be taking this back down

Lol I do the same. High fade in the winter months. Skin fade in the summer.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Also, for those of you firmly in the "this is a nothing event camp," maybe you're right. Maybe you aren't. I have no idea. I think proving the negative is going to be awfully hard here.

For many of us who did work in areas that got hit hard (my county did though not like some of the coastal cities), this was/is miserable. I don't think our many of the community's actions were an overreaction either. The initial volume was not sustainable and while I think a targeted solution would have worked better, something had to happen. Coming here every day to a forum of EMS professionals just to hear how stupid the response is is frankly disheartening. This last month of work has been the worst I can remember, wondering if we are doing enough to both be ready and to protect our people.

Glad it wasn't as bad for you I guess?

I am sincerely sorry that you and so many other people are experiencing such a challenging time. Tens of thousands of people are becoming ill, and many thousands are dying. A great many healthcare professionals are being overworked to the point of extreme physical and emotional exhaustion. I have never and would never describe that as a nothing event.

However, none of the hardship that people are experiencing obviates the need for a rationale approach based on reason and perspective. If anything, it highlights the need for such an approach. Instead we've gotten the opposite. In a few months or a year, COVID-19 will be a memory, but the very real economic effects of our chaotic and hysterical response will likely last much longer, and not nearly enough people are talking about that.

I'm not sure what you mean about proving a negative. It's already obvious that we screwed this up and that several other nations had much better results with a much more measured response. Of course that won't put a dent in the collective post hoc ergo propter hoc that we'll here invoked over and over and over with every analysis of this whole thing.

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Most of the issues that EPCO had were due to poor hospital resource management and a lack of adequate mutual aid structure. There were many similarly populated counties that took th he same hit but didn't struggle nearly as much. It's the land of refusing to pay for any taxes, and in return having limited services.
I don't know anything about El Paso county or their tax situation, but I doubt taxes have much to do with what going on there, COVID-wise. We give the WHO almost $60 million a year - far, far more than any other country - and in return they assisted us by telling us coronavirus was no threat to the US and advised our government not to close our borders with China. The CDC has the annual budget of a small nation (and virtually unlimited emergency funding) and couldn't get it's sole job right and instead, in concert with the FDA (which has a similarly sized budget), did pretty much everything it could to make an effective early response impossible. It is easy to see how a better performance from these three agencies early on may well have had a very positive impact on how coronavirus affected the US, but it is hard to imagine that these agencies would have done a better job if they received more of our tax money.

NYC is the highest taxed locality in the highest taxed state and has a budget and GDP larger than some not-so-small countries, and that hasn't kept them from getting pounded by COVID-19 far worse than anywhere else in the world. By contrast, my entire state's budget is less than half of NYC's, and I live and work in one of the poorest and lowest taxed counties in that state, and we are about as prepared for COVID as I imagine we can possibly be.

So I don't see any relationship between taxation and effective response to COVID-19.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I don't know anything about El Paso county or their tax situation, but I doubt taxes have much to do with what going on there, COVID-wise. We give the WHO almost $60 million a year - far, far more than any other country - and in return they assisted us by telling us coronavirus was no threat to the US and advised our government not to close our borders with China. The CDC has the annual budget of a small nation (and virtually unlimited emergency funding) and couldn't get it's sole job right and instead, in concert with the FDA (which has a similarly sized budget), did pretty much everything it could to make an effective early response impossible. It is easy to see how a better performance from these three agencies early on may well have had a very positive impact on how coronavirus affected the US, but it is hard to imagine that these agencies would have done a better job if they received more of our tax money.

NYC is the highest taxed locality in the highest taxed state and has a budget and GDP larger than some not-so-small countries, and that hasn't kept them from getting pounded by COVID-19 far worse than anywhere else in the world. By contrast, my entire state's budget is less than half of NYC's, and I live and work in one of the poorest and lowest taxed counties in that state, and we are about as prepared for COVID as I imagine we can possibly be.

So I don't see any relationship between taxation and effective response to COVID-19.

If you don't put resources into emergency management then you have nothing when the disaster occurs. I worked that dumpster fire for many years before I left.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hey, we actually had a fire to put put today! Granted it was literally a dumpster fire, but still, we got to put wet stuff on red stuff, so yay lol
Noyce! Congrats @Jim37F you’ve graduated to the LACoFD level. Can’t imagine it’s not a nice break in the weather though. Cheers.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol, hey the guys in town had a 3 alarmer the other day, and my transfer request has been received at Ops, so hopefully in the next round of transfers I'll end up somewhere that's Not in the slowest 5 stations in the entire department....