the 100% directionless thread

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
There is only one dumb question and that is the one not asked.

There may only be one dumb question, but I think that there are a crapload of stupid ones. Were talking common sense things, which, granted isnt so common anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
There are those in every class who's sole purpose in asking a question is not to get information but for the opportunity to give information. Those questions usually start with ... I knew a guy... or I heard of a case where... and what if.....

As an instructor I generally ask these people early in the presentation.. "Is this a question or a story?" or interrupt them in the middle with .. "Is there a question in here somewhere?" depending on my patience level that day or with that student.

While questions are always good, in order to maintain control of your class and your schedule, you have to be able to weed out those students who are taking the class as a sort of performance art. I've told them to see me after class for more in depth help with the concept because sometimes they are doing it just for the audience. Remove the audience and the confusion disappears.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
The 2nd day of class we were talking about pupil reaction and the deal with making sure the feller didn't have a glass eye, anyway we had a gal pipe up about her uncle and his glass eye that he would turn around and then pop out and once he let it roll on the dinner table. From then on she was sh#* in my book. Talks and is just plain dumb all the time. She has diarrhea of the pie hole.

medic417

The Truth Provider
The 2nd day of class we were talking about pupil reaction and the deal with making sure the feller didn't have a glass eye, anyway we had a gal pipe up about her uncle and his glass eye that he would turn around and then pop out and once he let it roll on the dinner table. From then on she was sh#* in my book. Talks and is just plain dumb all the time. She has diarrhea of the pie hole.

:sad::rolleyes:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

lol. So you're not allowed to have fun or let other students have a little laugh during class? Doing things like that is PERFECTLY acceptable as long as it does not become a habit happening every 5 minutes and nobody is offended by it... EMT-B is very stressful for most people, helping them laugh makes it THAT much easier.

Honestly, I get more out of our instructor who starts off the class and breaks with a family guy clip or something funny. And through out the class he'll say something during the lecture that's funny. Why does this work? Because I want to stay on my toes and listen to him for the next funny thing he's going to say and not miss it. -- Of course I want to listen for the regular content, but having things that are funny said during the lecture helps break up a lot of tension of having class for 4 hours straight.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Exodus you are right, it needs to be fun and you have to have a few laughs but every person in my class cringes when this person opens her mouth. They have all made fun of her or said something smart arsed in front of her and she just don't get it. one word ANNOYING. Sat there and whined the entire time we were doing practicals on bb.

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
A one liner here, or a quip there makes for some chuckles and stress breaking. However, a story that only remotely, possibly, tangently relates to the subject at hand and that drags on does nothing more than disrupt the flow of the class and annoys the other students. Thats what pisses me off.

piranah

Forum Captain
.............everyone should read...Dr. Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation on EKG's".....its good

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
A one liner here, or a quip there makes for some chuckles and stress breaking. However, a story that only remotely, possibly, tangently relates to the subject at hand and that drags on does nothing more than disrupt the flow of the class and annoys the other students. Thats what pisses me off.

Exactly it has to be germaine to the topic, instead of a tangential meander off into "How Great Am I" land. There is someone in every class that needs to make it all about them. This is different from the experienced provider who has actual value to offer.

Of course, my criteria for determining which is which is often colored by who is speaking and have they annoyed me in the past.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly, I get more out of our instructor who starts off the class and breaks with a family guy clip or something funny. And through out the class he'll say something during the lecture that's funny. Why does this work? Because I want to stay on my toes and listen to him for the next funny thing he's going to say and not miss it. -- Of course I want to listen for the regular content, but having things that are funny said during the lecture helps break up a lot of tension of having class for 4 hours straight.

My instructor closed with this one day. I don't know why it is funny, but it had my whole class laughing so darn hard......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIJ7ubz7cs

Sasha

Forum Chief
I could cry.

I've just discovered my little mini spiral with my self made, grouped and color coded drug cards is missing.

Wonderful.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
They have all made fun of her or said something smart arsed in front of her and she just don't get it.

What's the point in this? Trying to make her look stupid or feel stupid? IMO you need to have respect for your other classmates even if they are annoying. I understand there are gonna be some people you just can not stand but be professional. If she is really that bad then talk to your instructor, don't go behind her back and make fun of her or try and make her look stupid in front of everyone, that is just childish and has no place in EMS.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Hard to respect someone who shows no respect. She is disrupting the class many times she is telling these pointless stories, taking the group discussion on a topic in a whole different direction.

A36

Forum Probie
In my EMT-B class we had a doctor come in and give us a couple pearls of wisdom that would get your card pulled rather quickly. One was that if you had a pt with the DTs, pull into a packie (sorry, that's a liquor store for those of you not from MA) and ask him what his favorite poison is. He also said cocaine is an excellent decongestant. I don't think I ever want to try those, but it was interesting to hear an MD actually say that:excl:

jester_1269

Forum Probie
Don't feel bad, I have a horrible sense if humor.

i'm in good company then, cause that was funny as hell...in fact...I think I'm going to do that to one of my friends B)

jason152318

Forum Probie
Well in that case, I just ate part of the napkin that was surrounding the hot pocket I just warmed up. Didnt notice it until it was too late. Its about -5 degrees outside and windy. And I am hoping my truck starts in the morning at the end of my shift so I can make it to Church on time.