the 100% directionless thread

mct601

RN/NRP
Just got home from shift... unusually slow night. From 10-3, not a single piece of radio traffic for all the trucks on shift.

You may have just screwed yourself for your next shift, lol.

I :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing hate FASFA. I haven't lived with or been supported by my parents since I turned 18. But since I'm not 24 yet, they won't give me any money for school because my parents make 'too much money,' even though I make next to nothing. Not sure how I'm going to pay for school.

I don't even try for financial aide. IMO, the idea of people making too much is absolute bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:. My dad pays stupid amounts in taxes, and we see NONE of it. When income taxes come around, he has to pay in (he hasn't received a return in years). We couldn't get FEMA or the Red Cross to assist us after Katrina because we were honest. Yet the people around us got all kinds of assistance... and spent it on beer and luxuries :rolleyes:

Not to mention I have countless friends who get grants and all kinds of free money from the government for school. They screw off so bad- skipping classes, not doing homework, rarely studying, etc. Most of them drop out, and the damage is done and the money is spent. I tell them to straighten their asses up. It makes me sick.

/rant.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Didn't know you were going on Clear Creek... did you run into Todd and Denise, by chance? They went down there for that as well.

I just got a new Osprey pack for Valentine's day (yay for a hubby who also does SAR) and *love* it. I tend to keep my climbing harness in with my normal pack because my team uses them to clip into our scree litters... makes getting down a slope a lot safer IMHO.

As far as helmets on easy carry-outs, I've never NOT worn a helmet for a carry out. Just kind of the automatic thing... rescue = helmet, search = safety glasses, especially at night...

Wendy
CO EMT-B

I missed Clear Creek - we sent like 5 or 6 from our team though. Seemed interesting - and windy. :)

That's interesting that you all clip in. If someone trips and falls don't they kinda tilt the litter and bring it down a bit with them? We were trained to yell "falling" and let go immediately if we felt like we were tripping, so that we didn't pull down the litter.

Yeah I think the helmet thing is generally a good idea. I heard it was pushed by CSRB and implemented on our team 6 mo - a year after I joined. When I started we would often not wear helmets unless working at any angle or around falling rock... that kind of stuff.

I learned about sun/safety glasses the hard way. I mean, I had already known and always worn them, but one time I accidentally forgot them. We were searching for a body across a steep slope with lots of brush and gnarly stuff (5+ mo. missing after probable suicide). I was looking around, turned my head and blinked and felt something between my eyelashes - a mean old twig. This ranks as one of my most terrifying moments in SAR. :D

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You may have just screwed yourself for your next shift, lol.

Actually, any call after 9pm is a Priority 2 (emergent) call such as chest pain, shortness of breath etc, as no hospitals do BLS transfers after 9. So hey, if I have a busy night of priority 2s, that's fine by me, I need the practice as a new medic anyhow.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing hate FASFA. I haven't lived with or been supported by my parents since I turned 18. But since I'm not 24 yet, they won't give me any money for school because my parents make 'too much money,' even though I make next to nothing. Not sure how I'm going to pay for school.

Tell me about it. I'm in the same boat.

My suggestion would be to get married to someone really poor and move to another state.

Married students can claim as independent. You'd have to give your spouses tax information - so make sure you marry someone really poor.

Colorado is consistently ranked #49 or #50 in the nation for state funding of higher education, and the tuition and fees at public colleges and universities are sky-rocketing as a result. Our only public medical school is about to lose accreditation and collapse because the state only provides 2% of their money and they're threatening to cut that even more.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I tried asking how to do that at the college I'm registering at, and was told they will not issue those wavers to almost everyone. They said abuse or the like is the only reason they have issued them and that is their standing policy

A lot will say that, and a lot of those will stick to it, but it's worth it to try. I'd still request an appointment with a financial aid counselor one-on-one and come with lots of documentation.

LucidResq said:
I was looking around, turned my head and blinked and felt something between my eyelashes - a mean old twig.

Just walking down the sidewalk one day, I got a wasp caught between my sunglasses and my eye. It seriously freaked me out, and it took me about a year to wear them again. I know, I'm a wimp...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just walking down the sidewalk one day, I got a wasp caught between my sunglasses and my eye. It seriously freaked me out, and it took me about a year to wear them again. I know, I'm a wimp...

Not at all. I was playing paintball a few years ago and after doing a run through on someone I had a shot land in front of my eye. I walked off the field and tried to wipe the paint off... it wasn't on the outside of my mask. I try the inside... not there.

The paint broke on the inside portion of my glasses, literally milimeters from my eyes, meaning it somehow got by the mask seal still as a whole paintball and broke on my glasses.

To this day I refuse to wear any paintball masks from that company.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
NSCC buddy of mine was offered a bunch of MRE's over the past week for one reason or another, and while many of the the other cadets passed up on the chance, he managed to get a moderately full carton of em (about 17). They are not as bad as one would have you believe :)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
The paint broke on the inside portion of my glasses, literally milimeters from my eyes, meaning it somehow got by the mask seal still as a whole paintball and broke on my glasses.

Proof of quantum tunneling on a visible scale, at last!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
MRE's good stuff Maynard.

The dehydrated ones were better. The pork pattie was crunchy, as was the fruit salad. Kids LOVED the fruit salad.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
The kicker is that my buddy removed the external packaging for some of em, and mixed em up to make his own meals. But when he gave 1/3 of them to me, he had already disposed of the packaging. While some are easier to identify by then others, its still kind of an adventure ^_^

mycrofft

USAF I miss your old avtar. URL please

I need a new desktop.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The individual MRE entrees should say what they are. At least all the ones I have do

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
No, you see, he decided to physically mix some of the contents together, and double seal them in Ziploc bags (dont ask me why, I think he got the idea from Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory).
They're a little rich, but surprisingly tasty if you match em up right- been snacking on one for a while now.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
They're a little rich, but surprisingly tasty if you match em up right- been snacking on one for a while now.

No no no.......

but surprisingly tasty if you soak them in Tabasco sauce to mask the taste of the preservatives. My only gripe with MREs is they do not come with enough Tabasco.......^_^

And the military breaks them down all the time. We did that at the academy in TX too, when we would go on multi day training or rescue missions, we would break them all apart, throw out all the cardboard and extra plastic and stuff and you could fit alot more food into the same space. And they seriously pack a ton a energy into those thighs campared to the actual quantity of food. They are the best thing I have ever come across for extended backwoods trips or missions where you have to support yourself.

I do agree with mycrofft, the dehydrated fruit salad was good and the crunchy "pork" chop was WAY better than the modern one.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
No no no.......

but surprisingly tasty if you soak them in Tabasco sauce to mask the taste of the preservatives. My only gripe with MREs is they do not come with enough Tabasco.......^_^

And the military breaks them down all the time. We did that at the academy in TX too, when we would go on multi day training or rescue missions, we would break them all apart, throw out all the cardboard and extra plastic and stuff and you could fit alot more food into the same space. And they seriously pack a ton a energy into those thighs campared to the actual quantity of food. They are the best thing I have ever come across for extended backwoods trips or missions where you have to support yourself.

I do agree with mycrofft, the dehydrated fruit salad was good and the crunchy "pork" chop was WAY better than the modern one.
No Tabasco here unfortunately, I was talking about physically mixing multiple packets up- its like a gooey Everlasting Gobstopper! :p

mycrofft

We tried to make pizza out of them one time.

Uh, no.........
Yeah, you can live outta your BDU leg pockets, and the long spoons can come in handy. One ground pounder friend used an old inmate trick, heated the spoon plastic and stretched it and twisted and stretched it until he pulled the bowl off the tapered-out handle and had a good little spear tip for gigging frogs.
Or shanking.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Speaking of hurting people with utensils...

I know a kid who decide to show us how he could stab an orange with a fairly sturdy plastic straw (by keeping the back end folded up, and going straight down, you can apparently make a neat little corkscrew through it). He forgot to fold the end under his thumb down though, and ended up bleeding all over his lunch (and mine too, which was a little unappetizing). Next time you need to clear and airway, forget about intubating- just use the handy straw and pump it through that :p

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Straw trache...beauty, dude!

THWACK...OW!!!!...Wheeze wheeze wheeze whistle whistle whistle.