Thanksgiving

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I will be on shift tomorrow for Thanksgiving and I was kind of curious if Thanksgiving is normally busier then usual, normal, or even slower. I am trying to get an idea of what to expect, I know the roads around this area will be packed.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I will be on shift tomorrow for Thanksgiving and I was kind of curious if Thanksgiving is normally busier then usual, normal, or even slower. I am trying to get an idea of what to expect, I know the roads around this area will be packed.

Totally subjective.

Also totally depends.

Around here, probably will be busier since it is supposed to have ice and packed snow on the roads tonight, that of course will mean more accidents tomorrow. Other than that.....it seems to me it would be just like any other day.

People always claim holidays are busier. I did both Memorial Day and Labor Day which people say are much busier. I got next to nothing either day. In fact, I also worked the day before and after both holidays, and all of those days were busier than the holiday itself.

That being said, last year, my fire department, which is horribly slow ran five calls out of my station alone on Christmas day. So......you never know.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I am also working thanksgiving. Its just like any other holiday. Families get together, they sometimes fight.. which means domestics. also People deep fry Turkeys and it seems like a house catches on fire also...

With people traveling and more people on the road... better chance of accidents. but friday is usually worse for that, with it being black Friday

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Totally subjective.

Also totally depends.

Around here, probably will be busier since it is supposed to have ice and packed snow on the roads tonight, that of course will mean more accidents tomorrow. Other than that.....it seems to me it would be just like any other day.

People always claim holidays are busier. I did both Memorial Day and Labor Day which people say are much busier. I got next to nothing either day. In fact, I also worked the day before and after both holidays, and all of those days were busier than the holiday itself.

That being said, last year, my fire department, which is horribly slow ran five calls out of my station alone on Christmas day. So......you never know.

I also agree with him... (On this subject, not the Army Navy Game) Its just the luck of the draw and if you are lucky enough to have a white cloud above your head.. than you will be fine.. if not and you piss the EMS gods off... Have fun being up all day and night.

Just go into this shift like you would any other shift, because for us.. its just another day at work.. we dont know what we are going to get

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
People have a habit of causing fires from frying turkeys. But other than that, like any other shift, it could be anything. Have Fun!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ah, I'm on call tomorrow starting at 0600 for 24... I almost feel bad that I want people to get hurt on a holiday weekend... almost :)

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Ah, I'm on call tomorrow starting at 0600 for 24... I almost feel bad that I want people to get hurt on a holiday weekend... almost :)

HAHA!!! I'm supposed run Friday so i guess I'll end up with all of the leftover idiots, I love keeping busy though, i get bored quickly sitting around the station, You guys only post so much a day:). Good luck to everyone working tomorrow and the entire holiday weekend.

EMSrush

Forum Captain

I don't want anyone to get hurt, but I like to be there when they do... :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
HAHA!!! I'm supposed run Friday so i guess I'll end up with all of the leftover idiots, I love keeping busy though, i get bored quickly sitting around the station, You guys only post so much a day:). Good luck to everyone working tomorrow and the entire holiday weekend.

I'll be pulling first out shifts on Friday :) Starting tomorrow at 0600 until Monday at 0600 I only have 12 hours that I'm not on duty or on call. Should be a fun weekend

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Food for thought :)

Reporting at the American Heart Association's 73rd Scientific Sessions, a US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) researcher finds that people at risk for heart disease were four times more likely than others to suffer a myocardial infarction (MI) soon after eating a big meal.

Also consider drunk driving incidents increase over the holidays.

It would be interesting to hear your post shift findings after Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Also consider drunk driving incidents increase over the holidays..
Don't even mention drunks! you might jinx me! i got 2 last saturday, accident scenes are more aggravation than anything sometimes. But i guess you have a point, Always be ready and prepared.

Indy

Forum Crew Member

Be prepared for assault/trauma calls (believe it or not, several violent domestics occur on national holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas). Oh, and can't forget..be prepared for "sick person" calls. AKA Patient ate too much, pt.'s stomach hurts, so pt. needs an ambulance ride to the ER to waste taxpayer money and your time. Vehicle accidents due to DUI's and the such are probably going to be common.

Last edited by a moderator:

18G

Paramedic
I have worked many holidays or covered as a volley and honestly the holidays from my experiences aren't any busier than non-holidays. In fact, sometimes they feel slower.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Always had lots of good structure fires on both Thanksgiving and Christmas, working auto-aid with the FD.

Should be interesting to see how stuff goes from the police side of things tomorrow.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
call one, smoke investigation from the girl candles

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So far we've had a diabetic and two TCs. Good day so far.
Edit: and my schedule got changed so I'm on duty this morning. Still on call tonight, but I'm off on Saturday morning now :)

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief