Texas lawmaker: Sex offenders shouldn't be EMTs

Sasha

Forum Chief
Texas lawmaker: Sex offenders shouldn't be EMTs
Full Article Here
State Sen. Jane Nelson, long an advocate for tighter regulation of state-certified employees who deal with vulnerable people, was shocked to learn that registered sex offenders could be licensed to work as emergency medical technicians in Texas.

Now, she's sponsoring a bill that would end the practice.

The measure, among those scheduled to be heard by the Senate Health and Human Services committee Thursday in Austin, was prompted by an Associated Press report last year detailing how state health officials for years have allowed some sex offenders to serve as EMTs and paramedics.

"When I read about these incidents in the newspaper, I couldn't believe it was not already against the law," Nelson, R-Flower Mound, wrote in an e-mail to the AP.

Intially while reading this, I was shocked and appalled. However, this quote got me thinking:

The Department of State Health Services currently licenses EMTs on a case-by-case basis and has the discretion to approve even those who have committed serious crimes.

It's ridiculous what some people get on the sex offender list for, anything from being 18 and having a 16 year old girlfriend/boyfriend, making sexual comments or urinating in public. I think if it's truly done case by case, and they're not violent offenders or anything, then by all means, allow them.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
It's ridiculous what some people get on the sex offender list for, anything from being 18 and having a 16 year old girlfriend/boyfriend, making sexual comments or urinating in public. I think if it's truly done case by case, and they're not violent offenders or anything, then by all means, allow them.
Are you intentionally trying to make me fall in love with you? Because if you keep up with these incredibly intelligent posts like this, it's going to happen.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you intentionally trying to make me fall in love with you? Because if you keep up with these incredibly intelligent posts like this, it's going to happen.

Hey buddy - hands off. She's mine. We're planning on eloping to Argentina and starting an alpaca ranch.

But yes - I think that being a registered sex offender should not necessarily preclude one from becoming an EMT. They should be HIGHLY scrutinized, but not automatically barred. I know of 2 kids who are registered sex offenders for streaking at a HS football game... stupid, yes... predatory or dangerous... not really.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
No worries. I'm Mormon, so I'll take you both! Intelligence and a sense of humor together are very attractive! And I always wanted to be a Gaucho.

How is your Español? :D

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I think most guys here at emtlife have fallen for sasha.:)
While our service requires a criminal records check if a applicant has a record they have to provide the details. If it's for something say 20 yrs ago and they have been crime free since then yes. If it's for child molestation or drug dealing then NO. It depends on the circumstances.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
No worries. I'm Mormon, so I'll take you both! Intelligence and a sense of humor together are very attractive! And I always wanted to be a Gaucho.

How is your Español? :D

Wasn't polygamy banned by the LDS church banned in the late 1800's
(I had the 6 discussions from 2 elders back in the late 80's I never joined because at the time I was a 2 pack a day smoke I've quit smoking since then) .

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

firecoins

IFT Puppet
But yes - I think that being a registered sex offender should not necessarily preclude one from becoming an EMT. They should be HIGHLY scrutinized, but not automatically barred. I know of 2 kids who are registered sex offenders for streaking at a HS football game... stupid, yes... predatory or dangerous... not really.

So how is sex offender defined exactly?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief

Dictionary.com defines it as one who has committed a sex crime, defined as:
n. Conduct of a sexual or indecent nature toward another person that is accompanied by actual or threatened physical force or that induces fear, shame, or mental suffering.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Thats a fine dictionary definition but it isn't in line with how it is being described in the posts above. Apparently people streaking at a football game or urinating in public are being convited as sex offenders. If this is true, the Texas legal definition is different from the dictionary version.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Very loosely and not very well, which is where the problems come up. There is a huge difference between someone who get's arrested for streaking as a prank (indecent exposure to minors), someone who is 17 having consensual sex with a 16 year old, and someone who goes after little kids. Unfortunately, all, if arrested and convicted, will have the "sex offender" tag stuck on them for life. Another nice "justice is blind" moment...

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Apparently people streaking at a football game or urinating in public are being convited as sex offenders.

Conduct of a sexual or indecent nature toward another person

Streaking and urinating fall under "indecent nature" in my book, both of which can cause "shame" to those who are uncomfortable with the human body. Some people feel any show of skin is indecent and sexual.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Streaking and urinating fall under "indecent nature" in my book, both of which can cause "shame" to those who are uncomfortable with the human body. Some people feel any show of skin is indecent and sexual.

Most people see rape and child molestation as sex offenders. Public urination is the same level?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Most people see rape and child molestation as sex offenders. Public urination is the same level?

According to common sense, no. According to the law, yes.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
According to common sense, no. According to the law, yes.

which is my problem. Thie "law" has a broad stroke. Someone who was caught urinating in publis is not necessarily going to cause a patient any problems. A rapist/fondler/pedophile is probably goig to be a threat to a patient.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
which is my problem. Thie "law" has a broad stroke. Someone who was caught urinating in publis is not necessarily going to cause a patient any problems. A rapist/fondler/pedophile is probably goig to be a threat to a patient.

That's why I was pleased to read that Texas handles it on a case by case basis and does not just eliminate all people on the sexual offenders list with one broad statement.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Unfortunately, that is an incomplete list in the context of this discussion. Those are penal laws, not registration laws, which do include Public Urination and Indecent Exposure, as well as taking pictures of your own naked baby in the bathtub, breastfeeding pics, restraining an out of control child, or taking your own child if you do not have custody. None of those are "sex crimes" by any reasonable definition, but they are by the registration laws.

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
the read of a Century or just a long

Sorry that was a 15 sec google search to the Texas revised statues, you can look around all the site and get all the information you would like that link was just the definitions to the beginning of the laws that cover what is consider a sexual offense in the state of Texas this link will take you to all the laws on the books and there text for the state of Texas, one great way to waste a day :p
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Hah, we had a guy working at our service who was awaiting trial for manslaughter...and it was common enough knowledge that a casual just told our supervisor to Google the guy and all the info came up on the very first page.