Texas at 85MPH. What do our Texas residents think?

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly, my first thought is, "I hope their tires are rated for that speed." Other than that, I'm all for it. It's not like people don't drive that fast already.

They should place cameras along the entire highway for entertainment purposes.

In all seriousness people drive that fast, and like crap already, and just because it actually says 85 on a sign, I don't think it's going to make a difference.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nations-fastest-road-open-central-texas-17550262#.UIjPuMXA_K0

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Next they'll be putting autobahns everywhere!!!!

TxMedic512

Forum Probie
I drive IH-130 every day to work and for the most part ive noticed very few of the idiots you would normally see on the regular highway, everyone cruising along at 85 doesnt seem much different than70... and when everyone is doing 85 instead of people changing lanes and half the flow going 65 and half 75 it seems safer to me idk....

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant

I wish! I've lived in Germany for 8 months after H.S. And I have driven on the autobahn many times (mostly in a fiat panda, occasionally in my uncles M5) and the drivers there are much more responsible.
First, they view driving as a privilege and not as a right. (Unlike most Americans). Second, it is expensive to drive in Germany. Gas is $8+/ gallon, insurance is just as bad, and to take the drivers test is €2,000. So when drivers do drive fast, they also have the necessary training to do it safely. Oh and don't forget the road surfaces. The autobahn is 2x thicker than American freeways so the surface can handle 150mph safely.
As much as I want to drive fast at 100+, it's too unsafe to do so because of others immaturity, stupidity, recklessness.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
How many people actually drive the full 85? Do the majority of people still hover around the 70-75mph mark?

All I know is that with a 65mph speed limit, the sweet spot for the flow of traffic is about 70-75. 75 is about as fast as I am comfortable with in my V4 2002 Accord, although I can take it to 80, 80 is more or less max. (I'm sure I could hit 85, but its uncomfortable).

Achilles

Forum Moron

Actually the United States used to have highways with no speed limits, states out west like Wyoming and other western states. 85 is not that bad, it's a rual highway. people drive 85 on the normal highway, now they drive 95 :rolleyes:

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Speed limit in NY is 55, but people still tend to take large trucks and small compact cars into the left lane(s) and refuse to go faster than 30-40mph. That, in my opinion is more of a hazard than the drivers going 85 on an open highway.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Meh, when I lived and worked in Texas, the area of I20 I lived on was an 80mph speed limit already. I loved it, especially as TX is usually a low interstate speed limit to begin with (NM is 75 state wide pretty much)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Once speed limits were raised to 80mph saw much fewer fatal accidents. Most vehicles can safely do that speed as can most tires. If a person is to stupid to know and check their equipment then they just help keep EMS in business.

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Here is a study by the Federal Highway Administration on raising and lowering speed limits:

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

The study focuses on lower speed limits, like those on city streets, but I think that it still has some validity for highway speeds.

"The results of the study indicated that lowering posted speed limits by as much as 20 mi/h (32 km/h), or raising speed limits by as much as 15 mi/h (24 km/h) had little effect on motorist' speed."

I know that for me, the highway speed limit changes from 70 to 65 as you change counties, but I will typically set the cruise control at 70 regardless of which limit is posted.

nibbles

Forum Probie
NY Thruway speed limit is 65, but i regularly have cops pass me when i'm going 75. I think the main issue is people knowing how to use lanes. left lane to pass, dont cruise along 10 under in the left.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
dont cruise along 10 under in the left.

Don't cruise along doing 10 under on ANY part of the highway. If you want to go slower, go on a surface street, don't slow traffic down.

Too bad our ambulances freak out at 76 and scream till we slow down. Yay "road safety"?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
85 is nothing new to us. I 10 has been 85 off and on over the years. For those of you who have never been to Texas you might not get just how far apart things are. You can drive from US coast to coast and spend over a third of the drive in the state of Texas.

Also unlike the autobahn our highways are straight with very few turns. This is good and bad since its been shown the long straight highways tend to "hypnotize" drivers which can lead to accidents. On the up side you can see a mile ahead of you (miles in west Texas) when on them.

It may not increase accidents much but I bet the severity of the accidents will go up.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I drive IH-130 every day to work and for the most part ive noticed very few of the idiots you would normally see on the regular highway, everyone cruising along at 85 doesnt seem much different than70... and when everyone is doing 85 instead of people changing lanes and half the flow going 65 and half 75 it seems safer to me idk....

Yes