Tennessee EMT Certification

Porky1

Forum Probie
Good job of researching. I'm certainly not trying to throw a wrench in the works or argue just know that some people went into N.C., Kentucky and Ark. and had a devil of a time trying to get their state license. Supposedly those were national registry courses.
Just didn't want you to spend a lot of money and find out it was in vain.

Bluestar

Forum Probie
I know a couple guys from East TN who got there medic in NC and it took them 3-4 months to get their TN license. TTU in Cookeville has a good EMT Program. I dont think it is 1600 dollars either. Theres also one in Overton County every year 15 mins north of cookeville. I was thinking it was about 1000 dollars for it. Vol State in Gallatin has a good program too.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
TN does except any state EMT license as long as you get the IV part signed off on and you Nat Reg. Have it in writing.

Where are you going to get the IV part and some practice with that? Do you have a place in TN to get it signed off? Most states do not allow EMT-Bs to do IVs or if they do it is additional training. It probably will not be part of a 2 week crash EMT-B course.

Bluestar

Forum Probie
Usually you have to search for a IV course. However they are getting rarer and rarer to find. Most have converted over. Usually if you talk to a TN EMT instructor they will let you sit in for the IV class days and do some sticks and sign you off that way. Just depends on who does it.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Usually you have to search for a IV course. However they are getting rarer and rarer to find. Most have converted over. Usually if you talk to a TN EMT instructor they will let you sit in for the IV class days and do some sticks and sign you off that way. Just depends on who does it.

It would have to be an official enrollment for insurance to cover an invasive procedure. Any instructor caught doing this without paperwork should probably not teach again.

Bluestar

Forum Probie
They keep the IV portion separate from EMt course...its separate but combined if you know what i mean. Usually the last 2 months of class is devoted to IV. They usually let them just take that part and not have to take the hole class. Ive seen a few do this. It was authorized by their local EMS Consultant too.

Porky1

Forum Probie
At our program, which is at Cookeville, we don't allow anyone to sit for just the IV portion for the reasons that Ventmedic stated. It can be done but has great potential for problems and it disrupts the class when new people come in. Our IV part is spread throughout the course with just the stick part done toward the end but the concepts are throughout. That would be confusing to anyone attending at the end. Just my thoughts and didn't want to digress on this thread from the original question but wanted to clear up some statements so there is no misunderstanding how it is done in TN.

Bluestar

Forum Probie
I have never heard it being done in Cookeville...i have just heard of people doing it that way in other parts of TN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluestar

Forum Probie
Did not know you were on this sight. I been using this place for years..just lost my old login information. Picked up alot of good info. off of here.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, the city I work for already trained us at the EMT level and we're running as First Responders. And we have weekly training by our staff Paramedics, but do to the agreement with the county EMS...we can't ask for state certification through our department. (They are scared we will take them over, which we will sooner or later).

Nah, I'm not wasting my time swapping shifts. Plus we've heard the Attorney Generals office is about to investigate if theres a conflict of interest going on.

If the department that trained you cannot ask for State certification, then who exactly are you certified through currently as a first responder????

Your lack of basic EMS operational knowledge tells me that your department did a poor job of training you to the EMT level. Add to that you inflexibility and unwilling attitude to go and actually learn the proper way tells me why the county doesn't want to send you to EMT school. If the others in your department are similar, I think your comment of taking over EMS may not be as much of a reality as you think.

Do it right or don't waste your time doing it at all.

apkt

Forum Ride Along
Definitive answer on IV training?

Does anyone have a hard answer on providers of standalone IV training in Tennessee?

I am a National Registry EMT currently in California but looking in to moving to Nashville.

Obviously I'd like to avoid sitting for an entire EMT-IV (EMT-B+IV) course if possible.

I sincerely appreciate any answers as I can't dig anything up on-line.

-Ryan

Porky1

Forum Probie
Your looking for a course called extended skills. I can help if you want to <mod edit>pm me</mod edit>.

Last edited by a moderator:

apkt

Forum Ride Along
Thanks!

Porky -

Thanks for all your help offline.

Info for those of you also looking to come to TN - the class is called Extended Skills and closest offering is at Volunteer State in Gallatin.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Did not know you were on this sight. I been using this place for years..just lost my old login information. Picked up alot of good info. off of here.

They are not on this sight they are on this site.