Tell Me About Your Medical Director

Simusid

Forum Captain
We're a small service of about 50 providers. We have about 2300 calls per year in a suburban setting. We've had the same medical director for at least 8 years. I've only met him a couple of times, he's a nice guy, young-ish, and as far as I know does a competent job for us.... but very status quo.

What do you expect from your medical director? Or from an ideal director? Do you want to see him in your service periodically? Does your director actively interact with your staff (training events, M&M rounds) or only when there is a problem? Is he/she the cornerstone of your ongoing QA/QI or do you only get gigged on the troublesome calls?

Bonus question, do you have any idea what you pay annually for your director?

Basically, I've been hearing that we are shopping for a new director but I'm afraid this might end up being a case of "the grass is greener" when we switch.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Do you want to see him in your service periodically?

Absolutely. I am not a fan of phantom medical direction. But doctors are busy people and if they are not being paid to begin with (many medical directors are not or not enough to make it worth their time)

Does your director actively interact with your staff (training events, M&M rounds) or only when there is a problem? Is he/she the cornerstone of your ongoing QA/QI or do you only get gigged on the troublesome calls?

I have 2 interactions.
1 when I have a problem
2. When he has a problem

Having said that, I think we have a great relationship.

Bonus question, do you have any idea what you pay annually for your director?

No idea, I don't ask, nor do I want to know.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

1. What do you expect from your medical director?

To provide over-site and to research and review our protocols and update as appropriate. To fight at the state level to try to increase or at least maintain our protocol set within our state as we are the redheaded :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: stepchildren within it

2. Do you want to see him in your service periodically?

Absolutely as we have a great working relationship, and he is very user friendly

3. Does your director actively interact with your staff (training events, M&M rounds)

Yes, he travels around providing CE instruction and is working on a online CE program (extremely rural area including multiple counties within the LEMSA, 6 counties covering 16000 sq/mi)

4. Is he/she the cornerstone of your ongoing QA/QI or do you only get gigged on the troublesome calls?

We receive both positive and negative feedback as needed

5. Do you have any idea what you pay annually for your director?

Not my business

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
I see him on a weekly basis and he is an ER doc at our primary hospital.
Our old MD was a signature on a DOH form. He was retired and lived 3/4 of the year in FL.

He attends 1/3 of our QAQI, but also does some impromptu reviews of pts we bring him. Our Captain is the cornerstone of our QAQI but he looks at all pcrs that involve people under 1 year experience, all deaths and any that have a BLS level drug intervention other than O2. We also have a malpractice trial lawyer who is also a medic stop by once a year and pic random PCRs to go over. He sits the emt on "the stand" and goes over the pcr as if the case was in court. He is the sole reason my PCRs are 13 page novels.

He has attended and taught several trainings this year and got us into the pilot program for narcan.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Younger MD, board certed in EM with an EMS fellowship. We see him several times a month, he's an associate professor at the med school and an ED doc at two of our hospitals. Actively involved in QA, and is willing to meet with providers as needed. We're lucky as hell to have him. Pay is a regional matter, you need to research what OMD service in your area goes for.

Last edited by a moderator: