teaching OB to paramedics

habibti74

Forum Probie
I'm doing a three hour lecture on OB to a class of about 20 paramedics in a couple of weeks. Usually I do mostly skills stuff to EMT-basics so this will be my first "big" lecture and I want to be really prepared!

The main lecturer gave me his outlines, powerpoints, materials to cover, etc. My background is that I'm an ED RN/PHRN, EMS educator (who's looking to get more experience teaching! and that I worked as an OB nurse about 9 years ago (which is prob why they asked me).

Does anyone have any definite "Make SURE you teach this!" hints? Great youtube videos, pictures you've used for teaching, etc. that maybe I could incorporate?

I know how to talk about field deliveries, OB emergencies, ectopic pregnancies, etc but being as how I've never stood in front of these people before I want to make sure my lecture is interesting enough (for three hours!) that they give me the props I need so any great visual aids, other stuff would be most appreciated!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

It may not help with this class unless you can join fast enough. Join NAEMSE and there are some in the Trading Post to build on / use as a make shift template and change as needed for youre particular area.

Or you could take the NAEMSE instructor course and get into the trading post for free. Really is a good course on EMS education. And 40 CE is 40 CE no matter how you look at it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have found success as a lecturer not doing things I hate when being lectured to.

Firstly, there should be a break about every 45 minutes. (I usually try for 10 minutes every hour) After about 50 minutes, nobody is paying attention anyway.

When I lecture, I use powerpoint more as an outline for me than a visual aid for students. I try to keep a lot of funny or interesting pictures. Usually 1 or 2 per page with only a handful of bullets.

I engage my audience, I tell them up front not to bother taking notes and just listen and concentrate on what I say.

Rather than just spout out facts for hours, I like to engage people in discussion, present something and ask them what they think prior to giving them the material.

Lots of positive reenforcement helps too.

Once you lecture for a while and are comfortable with your topic, you can basically lecture to anyone at anytime without powerpoint.

In addition to the outline, the whiteboard is my friend. I usually make sure to have at least 4 or 5 working markers.

Don't give out copies of your powerpoint before the lecture. People will read it on their own and not pay attention to you.

My powerpoints are worthless if you didn't listen to the lecture, as I said, they are just an outline for me.

I try not to dress up, it makes the students feel more at ease. When they feel comfortable, they participate.

When asking questions, try to ask a few easy ones when students answer these they also feel confident enough to participate further.

Move around. It helps keep attention.

Make sure to call on everyone. Don't pick on one person and make sure to call on the people being shy.

When you first start it helps to rehearse. Just like an entertainer, it is not your AV that makes a difference, it is whether the students get something positive from you.

Oh, and I don't just read out lecture notes. They don't need a speaker for that. I present the material in a way that builds on itself, I tell them the important points and how to connect them. Then I spend some time telling them how exactly the theory applies to real life.

Connections and application is what they need you for. (and what they will appreciate the most)

Good luck.

OP
OP
habibti74

habibti74

Forum Probie
I've already done the NAEMSE instructor course, thanks. :) I looked at their "trading post" and didn't see any OB related material.

I agree about the breaks and I dislike powerpoint for the same reasons you mentioned. I would *much* rather write on a board, have people ask questions, get them to talk, etc. It breaks up the time better. I've been warned that they'll think that because their regular instructor isn't there that they are going to get out of class after an hour!

The regular instructor says "don't be nice - I dont want to hear you were nice - I want to hear you were tough!" LOL So I gotta be tough, make sure they know this material and also not bore them. :)

Thats why I am looking for some good visual aids! :)

I'll look for a "good" childbirth video. There are probably some younger medics who havent actually SEEN a birth before!