Teacher asked,"Do you feel like you could save someone?"

cpearson201

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
So I have two more weeks left of my EMT B class and tonight my teacher asked, "Do you feel like you could save someone right now?" I shook my head no and he looked at me funny. I am a really humble person who is aware of myself and my limits and this really bothered me. Don't get me wrong if I came across a simple call or even one that was serious say a person in decompensated shock. I would for sure know what it looks like and the basics of what that person needs, airway management, thermal management, and rapid transport to the hospital. But for me to sit here and say I could do it without actually having experience in it sounds kind of cocky to me. I guess what I really want to get at is can the experienced EMTs on this site tell me what your first call was like and how well do you think you did? Sorry to rant so much but this really bothered me because it isn't confidence I lack but just being humble and respectful towards the seriousness of ems. Also I don't want my teacher to see me as weak or unfit for the job.

I think that's an odd question for a teacher to ask. I'm not sure I would have responded differently than you. It's normal to wonder how you're going to do in any field until you have a chance to try.

Maybe yes maybe no, to many variables to predict. I just finished my class and have the state written test in two weeks. Aced the practical. It's easy when you are working on a dummy with someone giving you the information, but a real person you never know.

With 2 weeks left in EMT-B, the teacher doesn't have much left to teach you. I'm sure he was performing a gut check to see if you were confident in your skills.

Don't over think it. As much as we like to all be heroes, EMS Is less about saving lives and more about safe driving and customer service.

Don't overthink. Half of what you were taught, know it or not, was what not to do, which goes a long way to save the victim from the eager rescuer. That as the original intent of EMT training.

Bleeding=>direct pressure

Unconscious and no pulse=> CPR

No unnecessary movement, nothing by mouth especially if obtunded (groggy), and even when given, just sugar for diabetics.

Call 911 or tell the victim to go see their doctor or an ER.

There you saved at least five lives already.

(And we do this for free ;) )

It should be more like, "Do you think you can lose someone right now."

That's way harder than saving someone.

It should be more like, "Do you think you can lose someone right now."

That's way harder than saving someone.

Truth.

Not counting diabetics, I can't think of too many cases where what I did truly "saved" someone. Some good outcomes on codes, and a whole slew of bad breathers that turned around with treatment, but the other good "survival stories" generally end up with surgeons making the difference.

The hardest part of the job isn't knowing how to assess and treat, it's dealing with the social aspects and fallout that come with difficult calls. One of the hardest things you'll do is tell a family member that their loved one is dead. Especially kids.

Back