TCP False capture - True Capture?

TomB

Forum Captain
Your strips do not show an SpO2 reading (pulse or oxygenation). I looked for it!

TomB

Forum Captain
@46Young @systemet Thanks, guys! Online learning is powerful and it's best when we can learn from each other!

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Your strips do not show an SpO2 reading (pulse or oxygenation). I looked for it!

That is because in those strips posted the pulse ox would keep falling off and I had to reapply it. Still good learning experience all and all.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Also I checked heart sounds and they were also there at the same rate, any explanation for that?

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Also I checked heart sounds and they were also there at the same rate, any explanation for that?

No explanation for that.

Based on that ECG, I don't think you should be hearing heart sounds corresponding to the paced beats, because there's no capture.

Were you hearing a clear S1 and S2?

zzyzx

Forum Captain
I've also had a problem with getting capture. It was very frustrating because, being the geek that I am, I had previously researched the problems of getting capture and I thought I knew all about it.

Confusing the situation was that the patient got a lot better--going from being pretty much totally unresponsive to groaning and getting her color back--though I now believe that that was probably due to the sympathetic stimulation of me flushing her IO :rolleyes:

I think the problem is that people like me who have not done pacing before don't realize that, at least with the LP12, you have to use really high amps. My protocols say, start at 20 mA, which is misleading because you'd think you'd get capture at around that point. I was up to 90 mA and probably never had capture.

There are other issues with the LP12 that I think most medics don't know about. Here's a link to something I posted a while back:
http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=28110

TomB

Forum Captain
Does anyone know if rhan101277 is still around? The AACN is doing an online class about TCP and I was wondering if they could obtain permission to use these ECGs as examples of false capture. Thanks, Tom B.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
You should be able to use it under the educational clause of copyright laws.