TBI management

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My quarter's on the square that says "WIthin the hour".

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Just curious, are ICPs not automatically dispatched for certain calls? Are the fire fighters able to request them if they think they're needed or do they have zero medical training? I would think requesting an ICP on contact would give them time to get on scene while extrication is being performed. Overall, I agree if you can get to the hospital sooner than an ICP can get to you, then by all means do so.

Over here ICPs and even Doctors in sedans are automatically dispatched to big trauma jobs. Obviously not the case outside of the wider metro area where the nearest ICPs are too far away.

Pretty good to have actually- docs carry packed red blood cells, F.A.S.T scanners, can RSI, put in chest tubes etc.

It's s shame really- statistically there are more trauma cases due to the metro population, but often the worse traumas (like 5 people in a car vs truck) occur on rural highways etc.

Our state (3 x the area of texas) is only covered by several choppers

OP
OP
Clare

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Just curious, are ICPs not automatically dispatched for certain calls? Are the fire fighters able to request them if they think they're needed or do they have zero medical training? I would think requesting an ICP on contact would give them time to get on scene while extrication is being performed. Overall, I agree if you can get to the hospital sooner than an ICP can get to you, then by all means do so.

ICP are sent to certain calls including this one but not all Intensive Care Paramedics have RSI as it is an "add on" over and above the standard ICP skillset.

The Fire Service have no actual medical training, they are first aiders and can't dictate who or what ambulance resources are sent.