Talk me out of it

atropine

Forum Captain
The worst thing about it is the pay, go fire and make cash or go private ans starve to death.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Are you working for a private? and where do you work? because here, a paramedic fresh out of school starts at 10.50 per hour, runs 48 hour shifts with 96 off, and runs an AVERAGE of 20 calls in that 48. It is grueling, back breaking work and comes out to under 40K per year.

My first EMT job, fresh out of Basic school, started me off at $10.55/hr, and that's the middle ground. I know basics who started at $13... and that's on a rig and not in the hospital.

I say move to a better state :)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
While this is true for a EMT-Basic, I don't think it is for a paramedic. You get an associates degree just like a RN around here. You don't get RN pay because EMS hasn't been around long enough to be well established, there are no lobbyist or unions and thats what we need to get going anywhere. We also need people who know paramedics are well educated and professional, I talk to so many patients during clinicals who think paramedics just drive ambulance and wonder why do I need to start IV's.

If you comment was geared toward a basic that is fine, but if its for a paramedic then I am going to have to ask why you base this comment on.

Are you from Oregon which is one of only two states that makes the 2 year degree a requirement?

EMS is one of the older allied health professions and is now very much middle aged so we need to stop using the "young profession" excuse and see some of the reasons why it has not advanced in education standards. Other professions that have been around less than half the time of EMS do have national standards established for education which is used to petition the legislators for reimbursement. They don't just go before them and whine about how under paid and unloved their company makes them feel.

Unfortunately there are more than enough Paramedics around who function just as the ambulance attendants of long ago did and just give the patient a speedy ride to the hospital. I know Paramedics on 911 EMS services that may intubate once each year and that might be the only thime they might establish an IV. I think we also know many Paramedics who are on the ALS or BLS IFTs who may not have done either for many years.

As for as the public, with 50+ different EMS certs and different staff on each truck which can vary from county to county, the patients should be presented with a cast of characters list as they do for the audience at plays to see who can do what. This might also help the EMS providers with levels that are "Paramedic like" but are not really Paramedics see their own identity problems. One could also go to areas in California where the Parmedic scope is very limited to where you might think they are EMT-Bs instead of Paramedics. So don't blame the public for not knowing who EMS providers are and what they can do if those in EMS aren't sure.

To the OP,
Take the EMT-B course but don't quit your day job yet. You may not like what you see in the class for attitudes and maturity. Though I do hope your class time will be pleasant. Depending where you take the class, there may be several who are there not because of the love of medicine or wanting to work in health care but because it is required for FF employment. Others may be there because of some cool TV show and also have no interest in patient care. Unfortunately the clinical time is also very short so you really should see if you can do extra ride time somewhere. However, if you decide it isn't for you, the basic first aid training you get in EMT could be helpful someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
While it's said that "the grass is always greener on the other side," it's safe to say that in today's economy the state of EMS is a nice shade of brown.

I've spent far too much time searching for a job that I'd love, a job that would define me, and give me purpose. I've learned that after working in EMS and other careers, that no job is perfect, nor does a job make me happy.

I can certainly tell you that you that I wouldn't dare quit a job in this economy, no matter how many times you go over you resignation in my head on the way home from work. You may love EMS, you may hate it. Ultimately the bills need to get paid.

If you're looking for a way to escape life, work horribly long shifts that will most likely ruin any chance of a relationship or stable family, it may be the career for you. If you're willing to work 9 boring calls at all hours of the day and night for that one good one, you may thrive in EMS.

The best days I spent in EMS were in school and on my clinical rotations. I'd go for a few ride alongs and see what EMS is really like. Unfortunately I found that clinical time was not representative of my career in EMS. My clinical time was far more exciting and face paced than the endless hours I ended up spending in a Type II ambulance (ambu-van) parked behind the local Benihana.

If I were you I'd take a night course while still holding on to your current job, and see where that leads you.

Good luck!

Last edited:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If you're looking for a way to escape life, work horribly long shifts that will most likely ruin any chance of a relationship or stable family, it may be the career for you. If you're willing to work 9 boring calls at all hours of the day and night for that one good one, you may thrive in EMS.

These calls may be boring only because one might not have enough knowledge about disease processes to actually know what is in their truck. Dialysis calls are a great example. And of course, that also makes my point that some do enter EMS because they are not thinking about "patient care" but rather just the cool trauma stuff seen on TV. Few entering EMT classes have ever thought about actually touching patients but just being involved in the real exciting scenes.

Many people do have stable relationships in EMS. Not everyone who gets the EMT cert automatically files for divorce. If so, that relationship would not have lasted very long regardless of the job.

To make a decent living, one shouldn't just strive to be an EMT. They should continue their education to Paramedic and improve their chances of hiring on at a decent agency. The EMT is a mere 110 hours in most states. The hours of training is more for workers at McDonalds. As well, the EMT does NOT adequately prepare one for those "boring patients" since it is mostly first aid and not very much about A&P and disease processes. Thus, you have someone who really isn't qualified to be taking care of those patients in the back of the truck when it comes to even the assessment part or some might see these patients are not boring at all.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Surely life is all about perspective.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Wages suck.

Jobs are hard to find.

Worries about exposure and diseases.

Respect isn't there.

You won't have the education to be a true clinician.

You're preaching to the converted mate B)

...the patients should be presented with a cast of characters list as they do for the audience at plays to see who can do what...

I like that idea!

One could also go to areas in California where the Paramedic scope is very limited...

And yet somehow the Firemedics STILL manage to FUBAR the whole thing!

OP
OP
M

Mtn

Forum Ride Along
I appreciate the voice of experience everyone's offered. I won't be able to do it for another year since I'm abroad, but my job is changing and I will be able to take on a second job so it's less about the pay since I'll "keep my day job" as most people have suggested. I do design/IT work so my hours are mine to organize.

How does the scheduling work? Kaisu, you mentioned , "48 hour shifts with 96 off" is that 48 hours at the station/ambulance? That'd work fine for me till I can get up to Paramedic level which will take a while but is my goal.

Marriage is however a challenge in any profession...one of the thrills and heartbreaks of life. :) I'm working on my wife, she'll come round eventually. She's just afraid of the danger aspect of it (Seen too many movies I think)

Another question, is there an age limit?

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
I appreciate the voice of experience everyone's offered. I won't be able to do it for another year since I'm abroad, but my job is changing and I will be able to take on a second job so it's less about the pay since I'll "keep my day job" as most people have suggested. I do design/IT work so my hours are mine to organize.

How does the scheduling work? Kaisu, you mentioned , "48 hour shifts with 96 off" is that 48 hours at the station/ambulance? That'd work fine for me till I can get up to Paramedic level which will take a while but is my goal.

Marriage is however a challenge in any profession...one of the thrills and heartbreaks of life. :) I'm working on my wife, she'll come round eventually. She's just afraid of the danger aspect of it (Seen too many movies I think)

Another question, is there an age limit?

Is there an age limit??

Depends, are you aiming for a career on a fire department, or just private ems. Most FD's have an age limit, private ems does not.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief

Scheduling depends on the department.

I work two 24's and a 12 hour shift each week. Others, especially in private EMS, work 8, 10, or 12 hours. Rotating weekends are common at our company.

Fire departments often have longer shift times... 24's or 48's, with more time off between shifts.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you working for a private? and where do you work? because here, a paramedic fresh out of school starts at 10.50 per hour, runs 48 hour shifts with 96 off, and runs an AVERAGE of 20 calls in that 48. It is grueling, back breaking work and comes out to under 40K per year. Just about everybody has a second job. It's brutal hours and crappy pay and after a year and a half and 1500 calls under my belt, I am trying to figure out what I need to do next.

AMR pays this for paramedics. Metro ambulance where I worked part-time before school pays paramedics $12/hr. So guess I will be driving the extra distance to work for AMR part-time.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you from Oregon which is one of only two states that makes the 2 year degree a requirement?

EMS is one of the older allied health professions and is now very much middle aged so we need to stop using the "young profession" excuse and see some of the reasons why it has not advanced in education standards. Other professions that have been around less than half the time of EMS do have national standards established for education which is used to petition the legislators for reimbursement. They don't just go before them and whine about how under paid and unloved their company makes them feel.

Unfortunately there are more than enough Paramedics around who function just as the ambulance attendants of long ago did and just give the patient a speedy ride to the hospital. I know Paramedics on 911 EMS services that may intubate once each year and that might be the only thime they might establish an IV. I think we also know many Paramedics who are on the ALS or BLS IFTs who may not have done either for many years.

As for as the public, with 50+ different EMS certs and different staff on each truck which can vary from county to county, the patients should be presented with a cast of characters list as they do for the audience at plays to see who can do what. This might also help the EMS providers with levels that are "Paramedic like" but are not really Paramedics see their own identity problems. One could also go to areas in California where the Parmedic scope is very limited to where you might think they are EMT-Bs instead of Paramedics. So don't blame the public for not knowing who EMS providers are and what they can do if those in EMS aren't sure.

To the OP,
Take the EMT-B course but don't quit your day job yet. You may not like what you see in the class for attitudes and maturity. Though I do hope your class time will be pleasant. Depending where you take the class, there may be several who are there not because of the love of medicine or wanting to work in health care but because it is required for FF employment. Others may be there because of some cool TV show and also have no interest in patient care. Unfortunately the clinical time is also very short so you really should see if you can do extra ride time somewhere. However, if you decide it isn't for you, the basic first aid training you get in EMT could be helpful someday.

I don't know what needs to happen but paramedics over here where I am are very skilled. They are given much leadway in protocols, school seems really advanced with us getting a lot of education and our instructor going above and beyond.

Most of our test questions are fill in the blank, here is one from our recent test on OB/GYN.

You are called to a 25 y/o G2 P2 female complaining of lower right quadrant pain. She states that she has been hurting for the last several hours and it is progressively worsening. On exam you note she is guarding her abdomen. She has positive rebound tenderness to the right lower quadrant and pain to the left shoulder. She denies recent vaginal discharge and states that her LNMP was 6 week previous. She began spotting this morning and the vaginal bleeding has increased throughout the day. She had a tubal ligation after her last child and is taking no other meds. She has been sexually active in a manogamous relationship with her husband. BP 100/50, P 106, R 18, O2 sat 96% on RA. What is the probably cause of this presentation?

What does your paramedic education tell you?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Most of our test questions are fill in the blank, here is one from our recent test on OB/GYN.

My tests were essay and/or verbal and not guess the word that goes in the blank. The educators wanted us to explain each assessment finding and treatment plan.

You didn't answer my previous question. Are you from Oregon where the two year degree is required?

If you want to post another scenario, put it in the right section.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
My tests were essay and/or verbal and not guess the word that goes in the blank. The educators wanted us to explain each assessment finding and treatment plan.

You didn't answer my previous question. Are you from Oregon where the two year degree is required?

If you want to post another scenario, put it in the right section.

Same for my test. We have very few fill in the blank. I am not from oregon but the two year degree gets you better pay here.