Taking the NREMT exam

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
After being in this field for almost 15 years (with a NJ and NYS EMT card), I have decided to take the NREMT exam (for possible relocation reasons)

Anything special i should expect to see on the test? Any special areas or quirky questions people have heard of?

Code 3

Forum Captain
I recently took the NREMT for relocation purposes as well and it's pretty straight-forward. It only took about 20-25 minutes to complete and seemed a heck of a lot easier than when I did it 5 years ago. I'm sure you'll do just fine with your amount of experience :)

wailungisme

Forum Probie
You got this1

I just passed my NREMT basic. Since it is a 'smart' test, if you keep seeing the same or a very similar question, you probably need to change your answer. And be careful: it is based on NREMT information, not local state protocol. There are times I would need to contact medical direction that are not expected by NREMT, for example. But, most is the same--use common sense, and especially read the answers; usually only two are reasonable(of the four), and you will just need to decide which of the two is better. I did 71 questions in 28 minutes and passed, you will too. You got this!

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
I just took the exam yesterday and passed.

From what experienced members have told me, the test seems to be tailored to those who just finished taking an EMT course.

Just stick to your A-B-C's, and try to do everything by the book.

When I took the test, it seemed like every option they gave us was the right answer. Also, don't read too deep into the questions.

Also like Epikmonolith said, I too also did notice a lot of questions pertaining to childbirth/obgyn. Questions pertaining to ectopic pregnancies, abruptio placentae, placenta previa, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So I took the test... and I think I passed, at least according to the expiration date on the NREMT website :D

There were some difficult questions; some regarding OBGYN and pulseless limbs post transport (the latter i called one of my EMT instructors to know what the correct "book answer" was), as well as some NJ vs NREMT questions that I wasn't quite sure about. A lot of stuff I don't use on a regular basis, an some stuff I haven't heard about since I completed my original class back in the day.

But 60 or so questions completed in 39 minutes, it was definately a lot easier than I expected.

firefighter4life

Forum Ride Along
There were some difficult questions; some regarding OBGYN and pulseless limbs post transport (the latter i called one of my EMT instructors to know what the correct "book answer" was.

I took the national this morning and I recieved the same pulseless limb question. Actually, I saw that same question twice but worded differently, so I changed my answer.

Not reading too much into the questions is wise, but yet taking the time to read the questions is of benefit.