Taking the EMTB Practical

Ouch38

Forum Probie
When I first became a member of EMTLife, I had been riding with my volunteer agency for a grand total total of two months and wanted to learn more. Since then, I decided to take the EMT-B course and tomorrow the class ends. I finished with a 94 average (not bad for an old "new" guy who hadn't taken a real test of any kind in 22 years) and now face the state practical exam in five days.

I should be beyond test anxiety at my age, but I need to be honest - I am in the midst of a sizable panic attack here! I am positive this is normal, and I am certain that others have probably asked you this in the past, but I wanted to find out how you all got past your worries and managed to pass the test to become the professionals you are.

I can tell you that I have been practicing almost daily with my classmates, my corps, or my family (by the way, a traction splint is a terrific way to keep your 14 year old son in line), but still seem to miss details (most of which I am totally aware of) that could cost me. Any pointers to get through this?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The biggest is just to relax and breathe! :p I just finished my scenario's and skill tests this last week and a half, and the biggest problem I had was I tried rushing through it and just being nervous.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Ouch38

Ouch38

Forum Probie
Thanks for the advice. Taking a deep breath and pacing imyself is definitely an issue for me right now - I gave up on relaxing a while ago though.

It's kind of funny. You spend all this time practicing and learning how to do something like a trauma assessment, they give you 15 minutes to complete the station, and then you race through it like an auctioneer.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thanks for the advice. Taking a deep breath and pacing imyself is definitely an issue for me right now - I gave up on relaxing a while ago though.

It's kind of funny. You spend all this time practicing and learning how to do something like a trauma assessment, they give you 15 minutes to complete the station, and then you race through it like an auctioneer.

I know that feeling man! It's only in hindsight I realized what I should have acted like in there :p
And 15 minutes?! We had 10

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll be the first to admit that I screwed up the first time around. Medical and trauma assessments, I just froze. During the break, I read through the sheets once, then put them aside. I didn't think about the test, I didn't talk with the other students, I just relaxed. I actually think I fell asleep. When I went through the stations the second time, I was still nervous, but I was relaxed enough to where I could calm down and think my way through the scenarios.

I guess my point is if you know what you're doing, take a break. Do something to get rid of the test anxiety. You'll do fine. Good luck!

-Kat

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Trust your skills and education. And talk yourself through it. If you can memorize the steps to a process, just talking them out as you do them will get you through it.

Besides, the process of recalling and speaking the steps takes your mind off the OHMYGAWD voice screaming at you from the inner recesses of your brain.

OP
OP
Ouch38

Ouch38

Forum Probie
Thanks very much for the words of encouragement. It is always good to hear that others feel the same way. Actually, we just had our last lab tonight and all of us seemed a bit surprised that everyone was feeling the pressure a litte. Knowing that has made the whole thing (a little) less intimidating. Oh well, 4 days to go!!

OP
OP
Ouch38

Ouch38

Forum Probie
Have to tell somebody. I passed my practical today!! I wasn't sure that I would be able to take it before I got started due to nerves - kept forgetting the whole breathing thing - but got through it. Now on to the state written exam on Thursday!

Jolt

Forum Crew Member
Congratulations! Not many people pass the practicals 100% on the first shot! Only 2 out of the 12 people from my class were able to do it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Congrat's Ouch on passing !

Jolt, I would complain about my instructor if only < 20% passed the practical skill portion. Practice and review, rehearsed, until flawless before practicals occur.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Ouch38

Ouch38

Forum Probie
Thanks Jolt. I confess that it feels pretty good, especially since my brain would not allow me to study anymore after Thursday and I was sure that I was going to miss something painfully obvious.

OP
OP
Ouch38

Ouch38

Forum Probie
And thanks to you too Ridryder! I agree that I was surprised at the passing rate for Jolt's class. We had a 50%+ passing rate, and most of the things people missed were due to nerves.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyemt

Forum Captain
wow... our class passed 24/25 the first time around...

scares me some of the education out there... but we'll leave that for another thread...

congrats ouch!