Taking NREMT...10 months after class

Madi

Forum Ride Along
Last summer, I completed my EMT class. I was 17 years old at the time, and recently turned 18. I passed the class along with the NREMT psychomotor exam last August, however; I wasn't able to take the written exam until I turned 18. Now that I am 18, I am ready to take the written exam, but I have been "out of practice" for about 10 months. I am taking the exam on June 30th so I have 15 days to complete my studying. I finished Jon Puryear's online refresher course but I am still afraid that I am not ready to pass the exam. Does anyone have any tips on where to start studying again? There's so much material and I want to make sure I have it nailed into my brain.... I can't afford to fail! I'm so nervous! I have also purchased the EMT Crash Course book by Christopher Coughlin and am planning to read that as well, but want more resources.

What helped you guys pass? How did you calm your nerves and feel confident? What are the best online practice tests?

Thanks in advance!:)

jteeters

Forum Crew Member
JB Learning TestPrep is pretty amazing. When I took EMT, I used the Crash Course book, and the one REA puts out. It has a practice test at the end of it too. It helped, and I passed the Registry the first time. Good luck!

marian

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone have any tips on where to start studying again?
I ended up taking the NREMT over a year after taking the class and after doing all my skills & ride-alongs again.

I started by doing a 100 question practice exam on JB Learning. After the first practice test, I started my studying on the section that I got the lowest score in (I think it was Obs/Peds) and then moving on to the studying the section that I got the next lowest score in, and on and on. I also paid for access to the FISDAP questions on line and did the same thing there.

The point is, figure out where your weak spots are and study those first. Re-evaulate, figure out your next weakest spots.

Studying to get from say and 80 to 90 in cardiology won't help you if you can't pass obs/peds.

For me, it wasn't that bad but I had studied my backside off during the actual class.

jteeters

Forum Crew Member
I ended up taking the NREMT over a year after taking the class and after doing all my skills & ride-alongs again.

I started by doing a 100 question practice exam on JB Learning. After the first practice test, I started my studying on the section that I got the lowest score in (I think it was Obs/Peds) and then moving on to the studying the section that I got the next lowest score in, and on and on. I also paid for access to the FISDAP questions on line and did the same thing there.

The point is, figure out where your weak spots are and study those first. Re-evaulate, figure out your next weakest spots.

Studying to get from say and 80 to 90 in cardiology won't help you if you can't pass obs/peds.

For me, it wasn't that bad but I had studied my backside off during the actual class.

Good advice. I wish I had paid closer attention to you guys before the FIRST time I took the NREMT Paramedic test.

OP
OP
Madi

Madi

Forum Ride Along
Much thanks! I'm still trucking along and studying every single night after work! JB learning sounds like a great source and I will definitely be using that! I'll keep you all updated when I find out if I passed or not....:)