Taking EMS Courses as a highschool student

Umrav

Forum Ride Along
I was wondering where a high school senior can take EMT courses in Georgia? (preferably close to atlanta) I am 17 right now and will be turning 18 soon and i want to take the exam to get EMT-Basic certified. I have been searching the web for some EMS programs in Georgia but havent found one that allows students who are still in highschool. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Darien EMS – Post 53

I was wondering where a high school senior can take EMT courses in Georgia? (preferably close to atlanta) I am 17 right now and will be turning 18 soon and i want to take the exam to get EMT-Basic certified. I have been searching the web for some EMS programs in Georgia but havent found one that allows students who are still in highschool. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Have you tried talking to your school guidance counselor (or whatever they are called these days)?

I think it's great that you're even thinking about this at your age I wish I had been as proactive as you are. I'm always amazed at the maturity of the young guys and gals I run into on scene.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas in the meantime check out this article on some amazing teenagers who run an entire station in Connecticut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_EMS_–_Post_53

OP
OP
U

Umrav

Forum Ride Along
Thank you sir, and i really appreciate the complement!
I will take your advice and talk to my guidence councelor when school reopens in the fall.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are a few states that allow students in EMT classes who are under 18. Most require you to be 18 though. No reason you can't take it in conjunction with HS if you meet the age requirements, that's what it will come down too, not the fact that you are in HS still.

Good luck!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Thank you sir, and i really appreciate the complement!
I will take your advice and talk to my guidence councelor when school reopens in the fall.

Oh duh. You can tell I don't have kids lol.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
My little brother took his basic course the summer between his junior and senior year of high school through the volunteer EMS at the university of Minnesota. Try looking at other organizations besides traditional institutions.

I had the opportunity to take my first responder and basic as high school courses during my senior year of high school. Of the15 of us that passed the final, only 4 of us went on to sit for the national registry for some reason.

patput

Forum Crew Member
I would check out local community colleges. If there are local volunteer ambulance squads or fire departments check them out as well, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I was the youngest person in my Basic class as well. The class started in August and I didn't turn 18 until October. In New York at least as long as you're 18 when you sit for the exam you're all set.

grump

Forum Probie
Contact your school now. Classes may be out for you but Teachers and staff have been known to work well into the summer. Our guidance counselor was available year round. That was many years ago but it wouldn't hurt to ask.