Tactical Medics / Bike Team

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I was thinking of all the services EMS can provide, and realized that many places have bike medics or tactical response teams. Do any of your services? Are you part of any programs that do?

I'm not exactly in the best shape, but I think it would be fun being part of a bike team :)

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
We don't have either, but Pasadena FD runs a bicycle medic team for the Rose Bowl, Rose Parade and around Old Town (shopping/dining district) occasionally.

As far as tactical medics go, most of that is handled through the Sherrif's Department (I think they're the only SWAT team besides LAPD). The LASD tactical medics are the same guys who work on their big SAR helicopter...they rotate between air duty and on-call tactical duty. Four of them were in the PHTLS class I took last year, and they're a great group of guys...very knowledgeable. We work with them for airlifts out of the mountains occasionally too.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
One of the Co's I run with does Bike team "stuff" at large events in the boro. I'm actually signed up for an event next month (1st time we've had bikes out for a year or two). Should be fun.

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
We have a bike team @ RMA. The EMT's on it do quite a bit as far as runs and community events.

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
The Ambulance company that my brother used to work for had two bikes, with all the necessary first responder gear. My brother was probably the most competent cyclist out of everyone, but I don't think he ever did the bike team. Basically, they were doing first aid type stuff for the festivals in town. There was always an ambulance somewhere on the premises, but there was always one guy just riding around, just being seen. They also had two quads that they brought out to dirt-bike races that they could get onto the track easily with.

Another regional ambulance company out here has a tactical EMS squad, but they're not really assigned to any one station, I think it was comprised of members of various stations.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I hate bikes. I'm weird like that. So no, I'm not part of the bike team. But I do like to watch them go by at parades... what with those hot pants and all.

Strike3

Forum Crew Member
We have a TEMS team, a bike team, a ropes team, and now we're adding two motorcycles to the mix...

Charleston is pretty good about trying new idea's...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Strike3@May 16 2005, 08:38 AM
We have a TEMS team, a bike team, a ropes team, and now we're adding two motorcycles to the mix...

Charleston is pretty good about trying new idea's...
That is cool...

I know Bah-ston uses bycicle medics / EMTs on an "everyday" basis - not just special events.

Any other US cities using ALS motorcycles??

Jon

ECC

Forum Captain
We have Tactical Medics, but there is a problem right now with sources of funding. I am sure when that gets straightened out we will be OK.

We also have USAR and Wildland trained members.

trackmedic

Forum Crew Member
Anyone ever see them on Segways?

SegwayEMT.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Rode one at EMS today... FUN!

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
gyroscopes..... like a gyrocam on a helicopter

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Aug 31 2005, 08:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Aug 31 2005, 08:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Aug 31 2005, 06:32 AM
:huh: [/b][/quote]
How Stuff Works - Segway pg. 3

There, Alex... now EVEN YOU can understand...
:p
Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Aug 31 2005, 08:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Aug 31 2005, 08:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 31 2005, 08:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon
@Aug 31 2005, 06:32 AM

:huh:

Jon [/b][/quote]
That was a face of "that's weird", not I'm clueless. But thanks for the link...

I have to go pump my cellar now. We had 6 1/8" of rain. :blink:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Aug 31 2005, 04:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Aug 31 2005, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Aug 31 2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 31 2005, 08:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon
@Aug 31 2005, 06:32 AM

:huh:

Jon
That was a face of "that's weird", not I'm clueless. But thanks for the link...

I have to go pump my cellar now. We had 6 1/8" of rain. :blink: [/b][/quote]
we had 6 1/8 minutes of "real" rain... :lol: we need rain.... this storm was a dud, for us...

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
bump - for our new topic on the subject