Tacoma Paramedic Program

Monkeywrench

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm an EMT-B and I'm looking into the Tacoma Community College paramedic program. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it this year or next but I was just looking for advice or opinions.

That's where I went. Have any specific questions? @FireWA1 can probably answer them better than I. :)

I'm a volunteer with a local fire department but it's s small district with few calls. I'm still kinda on the fence since its a career change, right now I'm a diesel mechanic and I'm concerned about the job market on the western part of the state for paramedics.

Well I can't help you too much with the change in career advice. Private ems pay sucks. I'll be making roughly 38-40 before taxes when I'm done. Fire departments pay better and as a paramedic you have more choices in western Washington. There are also a few fire departments that have volunteer paramedics but they are kind of far out on the peninsula.

As for the paramedic program itself, a lot of things are changing and evolving. For better or worse I don't know but the instructors are very smart and teach very well and i have learned a lot. I expect the program to keep being tweaked over the next few years as they make it their own. And I believe it will still be one of the top programs in the nation. (Currently in the top 10%)

Not sure of the testing process. My group there was just a written test. I do know they have the written still and there is going to be something else. So study basic EMT stuff. Let me know what else I may or may not have answers for.

Over all it is an amazing experience and I can't imagine I could get a better education anywhere else. (Maybe Harborview...)

Wow thanks that was a very helpful thread. My end goal would be with a fire department and I live out in the boondocks but would prefer working in the king county or areas that size. I didn't realize that paramedics were paid so little at the independent ambulance services though. Kinda depressing, I know the EMTs around here at olympicambulance are making just over $10 an hour.

Back