systolic & diastolic

LeoLi4

Forum Probie
so recently I had been volunteer at a place to help taking bp for elderly. And I have some questions regarding about the systolic and diastolic.

I know the normal range for systolic is 90-120, and diastolic is 60-80. But I encounter some elderly that has 148/72. So are they still consider having high bp even though the diastolic is still within the normal range?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes. A systolic blood pressure of 148 is considered stage 1 hypertension.

That said, a BP of 148 absent other signs or symptoms is not a "OMG, load and go. Lights and sirens to the hospital" blood pressure provided that the patients aren't marathon runners having their BP checked at rest.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
yes, either a high systolic or a high diastolic qualifies one as having high blood pressure

OP
OP
L

LeoLi4

Forum Probie
are one more important than the other? because some of the elderly told me that the some nurse told them as long as their diastolic is within range they are fine and is normal for elderly, like around 70+ years old, to see high number on the systolic. With that said, it sounds like diastolic is more important to keep in check than the systolic. Is what the nurse said correct?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, the nurse was correct. the systolic pressure represents the pressure exerted on the vessles during contraction, and diastolic represents the exerted force inbetween contractions or while the heart is "at rest." so one could reason that the diastolic may be more "important", as it is a constant pressure.

Although both systolic and diastolic blood pressures tend to rise and fall together, especially in young and middle-aged adults, diastolic pressure fluctuates less. For this reason, doctors have traditionally focused on the diastolic reading. However, in 2003, the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC) published a new classification of blood pressure for adults that states unequivocally that in people over 50, a systolic reading of more than 140 mm Hg is a much more significant factor in cardiovascular disease than the diastolic reading. This was based on a preponderance of research evidence highlighting the significance of systolic pressure. For example, the Framingham Heart Study showed that systolic blood pressure alone correctly identified 91% of those who needed treatment, while high diastolic pressure identified only 22% of individuals needing treatment. In addition, the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program, or SHEP, trial found that drug treatment for high systolic pressure significantly reduced the risk of stroke by 36% and cut heart attack and heart failure rate.