SWAT Medic

newguy

Forum Probie
Hey guys,

Quick question...how does one become a SWAT Medic? Do they become a NREMT-P/FF then request to be on the local Police/Sheriff's dept's SWAT team? Is the process easy or really competative? What courses would help me?

I'm looking into moving in San Antonio, Texas.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
It all depends on the department. If they have SWAT medics assigned or if they go in without them. Best answer would be from the source.

HAZMAT

Forum Probie
I would say that it depends on the police department. Having your Paramedic is a good start but if you are looking at more of the law enforcement side of things I recommend a degree in criminal justice. You could get into the reserve program and some departments pay for your academy.

- HAZMAT

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Read some more in this section, ther's is quite a lot in the responses.

Welcome aboard.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Welcome aboard!!! Look thru this forum there is a lot about it and not too old....If you need more PM me and I'll help you out.

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to the madhouse.... I would check around your local PD. Around here we have FD medics do stand-by. My local PD has one SWAT member that is AEMT trained and are putting him through Paramedic School. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask... all of us are more than willing to help.