SWAmbulance Paramedic School?

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
I noticed that SWA pays for Paramedic School. Does anyone know what the pre-requisites are, requirements, commitments, etc.? Is there a contract that has to be signed to obtain the schooling? You can't get something for nothing, you know. :p

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I heard it was a 4 or 5 year employment commitment. Have you actually gotten a job with them? I haven't even been able to get an interview with anyone here in the valley.

OP
OP
OreoThief

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
Not yet, but I'm working on it. I just couldn't believe they pay for the school AND pay hourly. I wonder what the catch is. Hmmmmmm......

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
Well good luck with that. Maybe there is no catch, besides signing a contract promising to work there for x years... but that's probably too optimistic of me. If you get any luck with employment, let me know! I would love to work for Southwest or PMT.

certguy

Forum Captain
Swa

Guys , I don't know about the medic school , but I worked for SWA when they had an EMT operation years ago in San Diego . Thier system was a little different from what I was used too , but I liked it . The first manager was the best I ever worked for . He wrestled several contracts from existing companies and did so well he was promoted to the CEO's assistant . Unfortunately , the bonehead that took his place was lousy . They've got an awsome EVO training program That even had an old Arizona highway patrol ambulance rigged as a rollover vehicle . While you were driving a cone course , there was an onboard computer mounted between you and the instructor . He could program in everything from brake failure , to steering failure , to blowing up to 3 tires at once . The inst. had a dead man's switch to activate the mayhem when you least expect it . The manager was in the first class to do it and rolled it while they were filming a promo video . For safety , you wear a helmet and racing harness . It also had a roll cage . The program was called EVADE . Some of the training I got has come in handy driving a bus .

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unless, you know that you are really going to stay and will live in the area for some time, or know that you really enjoy that company;I would stay away from indentured servant employment. Really, how much does Paramedic education costs?

Does one really want to stay employed for a company for a lousy < $10k ?

There are plenty of Paramedic positions, and one can get a student loan as well use it for tax purposes if it is for advancing a career.

Again, unless you are really sure that you will be happy and content, why sign your life away?

R/r 911

OP
OP
OreoThief

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
Very good point....... never even thought about that.

OP
OP
OreoThief

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
Well good luck with that. Maybe there is no catch, besides signing a contract promising to work there for x years... but that's probably too optimistic of me. If you get any luck with employment, let me know! I would love to work for Southwest or PMT.

Will do. Where are you working now?

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
Will do. Where are you working now?

Nowhere, really. :sad: I'm a volunteer EMT with Phoenix FD's Crisis Response Unit, but we don't see a whole lot of medical emergencies. I'm also trying to get a job as a PCT with a local Level I Trauma Center. I'm hoping that the experience there will be enough to convince SWA or PMT to hire me, since it sounded like neither of them will hire people without experience.

OP
OP
OreoThief

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
do you have yahoo messenger.... we can chat? If so, you can PM me, or view my handle on my EMT Life profile.

Last edited by a moderator: