Sunstar Ambulance

lakersmedic

Forum Probie
Does anyone have any information about Sunstar Ambulance in Pineallas County, Florida? I am just curious about reputation, types of calls, and do they run medic/medic or medic/basic? I was offered a job there, and I live in IL now and want to know if its the type of company to pack up my stuff and make the move. Thanks.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Never worked there, but from what I know:

They run 911 response for Pinellas County and surrounding area. They are a subsidary of Paramedics Plus.

I'm pretty sure their contract requires them to run medic/medic but they might also do IFT with medic/basic or BLS trucks.

MendoEMT

Forum Crew Member
Don't know a whole lot about them, but I do believe that during the past year they put in a bid for the Sonoma County, Ca contract in an attempt to take over from AMR. I heard that they are a quality company with good management but their bid was declined for some reason...

OP
OP
L

lakersmedic

Forum Probie
Thanks for the quick response guys. Yeah I am looking in the area, and they seemed like a good company, but I thought some of you guys would know some good info. Thanks again.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
lakers--just a thought, i assume you already had an interview to get the offer, did you ask them at the time? A red flag might be if you did but they didn't provide you with very good answers...

OP
OP
L

lakersmedic

Forum Probie
I have learned in my time in EMS sometimes they make it sound better than it really is. Also some of the questions I just plain forgot to ask. I mean they talked about 911 type calls and all of that, but I have heard it before. I am just looking for a stable company who cares for it's people. They sounded really good, I just wanted to try and get a little insider info.

reaper

Working Bum
All I will say, is they have a high employee turn over rate.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
All I will say, is they have a high employee turn over rate.
As do all privates right? Stay there until you find a better paying/benfited job elsewhere, usually a hospital or FD.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Update

Stay tuned to
http://www.tampabay.com

It can also give you a feel for the area.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article1015358.ece

July 5, 2009

Pinellas County commissioners appear poised to extend a contract with a private company to provide ambulance services, but want to make sure they can wiggle out of it if they find a less costly, more efficient way to provide emergency medical service to residents.

Mark Postma, who oversees the Sunstar contract for Paramedics Plus, says his company has never seen a profit from Pinellas. However, the company agreed to cut the amount it charges for a hospital trip from $237 to $224 and to buy 10 new ambulances, bringing the fleet up to 74.

In return, the county would agree to extend the revised contract for three years when it ends Oct. 1.

That's an idea commissioners liked, but they wanted to make sure they could get out of it if they found a better option in the meantime.

A vote is scheduled at the commission's July 21 meeting.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
The second vehicle is a Sunstar ambulance, owned by Paramedics Plus. The county bills the person who is transported to the hospital an average of about $500 and gives $240 of that to Paramedics Plus. The county keeps the rest. The amount that goes to Paramedics Plus: About $30 million from these fees.

I'm confused, so 240 goes to Paramedics Plus and the county keeps the other 260? But that 260 also is given to Paramedics Plus?

Why not just have said that Paramedics Plus gets 500?