Sulfa Allergies & Morphine

medic417

The Truth Provider
Medic 417 may well be right on this subject. It is hit and miss as to which patients will react and it isn't a coincidence IMO. According to a board certified allergist, he claims multiple sulfa sensitivities/allergies isn't uncommon. Medication reactions are especially common among those with a HX of hypothyroidism. Perhaps there is a connection?

Example:
I am severely allergic to antibiotics containing sulfa but, not others that I know of. I am allergic to all fresh fruits and vegetables to a degree (some worse than others) and suffered an acute onset V-Tach within seconds of MS IVP.

Advise: Be ready for any adverse reaction to any medication. :)

I researched this topic using multiple sources. SULFATES ans SULFONAMIDES are completely different. Allergies to sulfa are directly related to antibiotics. Do the research. It only take a few minutes on google.

It is surprisingly common for people to be allergic to all sulfa, sulfates, sulfites, etc. I know they are unrelated but seems to be some relationship that science has failed to find.

And medic Texas the only thing wrong that the Parmedic did was not pursue the true level of allergy. But to say people with sulfa allergys can have morphine is misleading. Most can but that is why he should have asked questions.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
It is surprisingly common for people to be allergic to all sulfa, sulfates, sulfites, etc. I know they are unrelated but seems to be some relationship that science has failed to find.

Science has also failed to find Bigfoot as well, yet people still believe.

Im sorry I couldn't help myself.

But to say people with sulfa allergys can have morphine is misleading. Most can but that is why he should have asked questions.
Correct, because some can be allergic to the morphine itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic_texas

Forum Crew Member
I researched this topic using multiple sources. SULFATES ans SULFONAMIDES are completely different. Allergies to sulfa are directly related to antibiotics. Do the research. It only take a few minutes on google.

First off, I'm not sure why you quoted me. The bulk of your post doesn't reflect my content.

"Allergies to sulfa are directly related to antibiotics"

Here is my source -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sulfa-allergy/AN01565

However, not ALL SULFA (short for sulfonamide) medications are antibiotics. HCTZ and some anti-diabetic medications are in the "sulfa" class of medications.

Another source and probably the best source I found. Everyone should read this regarding this topic. I find it credible and very educational.

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/sulfa.htm

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ResTech

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
My question is, what Sulfa medications do you carry on the ambulance?

Furosemide (Lasix)... which again, I have observed a lot of providers are not aware of this either. They will withhold morphine yet give Lasix.

I'm glad my post opened up some dialog and is raising some awareness.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
It is surprisingly common for people to be allergic to all sulfa, sulfates, sulfites, etc.

That's me too, along with several family members. But my reaction to each type is different, and those are far from the only serious drug reactions that I have. My morphine reaction isn't an allergy, either. It gives me panic attacks. But if a healthcare provider I don't know asks, I'll claim it is. I've had too many mishaps in the past where someone assumed it was alright to administer something with a known bad reaction as long as it wasn't an actual allergy...

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
ResTech, I received the point of this poist and appreciate the clarification. A pity I had sifted through all the replies, it wasted time though was midly entertaining... lol.

-rye