Sturdy clothes for vehicle rescue class

Pseudonymous

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently taking my EMT-b class, and two days from now, from 8 to 4, I have my vehicle rescue class day. Since most of the people in my class are part of a a fire department, they will bring their bunker gear. I, on the other hand, have nothing to wear. It will snow about half a foot, and we'll be outside, and for at least a portion of it, on the ground in the snow. Today and tomorrow are the only days I have to get some protective clothing. Protective EMT/Fire/Police in the stores in my area are extremely expensive.

So my question is, does anyone know any type of jacket/pants that you think could be worn for this occasion? I just need them to be warm, dry, and can be rugged enough for vehicle rescue.

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Every fire department I've ever worked with has a closet full of retired turn out gear.

Stop by, take donuts/bagels and ask nicely if you can borrow a set for the weekend, to take a class. They will probably ask for a copy of your ID, and maybe make you sign a paper... easy enough.

This will probably only work with local volunteer agencies.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Don't know where you are from, bt maybe go down to the local walmart, farm supply store or wherever, and pick up some of the outdoor work gear the construction and farm people use.

Maybe even a big set of coveralls to wear over your normal cloths

I wouldn't spend a fortune on stuff you will use for class and maybe never again.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
If you area really going to be tearing vehicles apart, you all should be provided with appropriate PPE.

If they are refusing to do that. I'd ask one of the fire guys to bring a spare set of turnouts for you.

And if that doesn't work, wear polypro pants under some jeans, snow boots and a heavy jacket.

Don't go spending much money on stuff though! :p

OP
OP
Pseudonymous

Pseudonymous

Forum Crew Member
Do you guys think some rugged water resistant overalls, and a ****ies jacket with the same qualities will work?

reaper

Working Bum
Just go to FD and ask them to borrow old set. I am sure they will have no problem with it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing will work unless you pick the goofiest looking getup possible and post a picture of it on here. :p

jk....jk.....What you have suggested should work fine. As will a spare set of turnouts. Plus.....turnouts are way cool. ^_^

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
And designed for this type of work, and warm, and way cool.

After the clothing a good set of safety glasses and heavy leather gloves.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I certainly hope they're at least providing helmets and protective eyewear.

Pack extra socks, t-shirts, and underwear, and find smething to keep your neck covered. Once you get wet, nothing will help you until you get some dry clothes on.

Edit: Don't forget to pick up a pair of work gloves from Home Depot or Lowe's. I can guarantee that your hands will be frozen otherwise. If it's just an EMS drill for vehicle rescue, I seriously doubt that they're going to be having you cut doors and posts, place cribbing, etc. You'll be learning how to manage the pt in tight spaces, using the KED, removing the pt on the LSB, or to hold C-spine while the rescue crew takes the door, roof, etc. You should have a blanket thrown over you and the pt. Besides keeping warm, your protective clothing should be good enough to protect against broken glass and jagged metal.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Answer is too late, but...

46, Vene and others pretty much have it covered, epsecially warm clothes.

Unless you will need the gear later, go to a large thrift shop, buy a sturdy pair of jeans, a flannel shirt, and the sturdiest coat that fits. NO NYLON. Canvas is better. Get a windbreaker you can stuff into the pocket of the coat. Maybe the tool section will have some knee pads.MAKE SURE IT ALL FITS, no "pretty close" stuff, you can't return it and get credit. (Consider a surplus but good condition field jacket and liner).

Go where they sell work clothes, get some sturdy split cowhide gloves that tighten at the cuffs, and any long underwear you need (mostly lowers; your coat will keep your torso warm) and stout socks. If you don't own real work boots, get some; steel toes, if you want. Pick up a set of goggles.

Big thing is: be warm, be able to warm down after you are sweaty, have basic protection (gloves, boots, goggles) and listen up/be smart. If you are ripping up cars, they would have given you a list of requirements, or they will furnish for you; it never hurts to have your own, up to a point.

Last edited by a moderator: