Stupid things you did on your first few calls

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
-ALMOST put gas into the diesel rig.. that would have been bad. We have gas and diesel rigs

my partner did that.... filled it up with gas from half a tank.... twice....

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
my partner did that.... filled it up with gas from half a tank.... twice....

My partner too. 45 minutes out of town, transporting 2 hours away, almost 30 gallons of gas in a diesel engine. We made it about another mile. I never let her touch the gas cap ever again.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Marrying my EMS partner.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
It has never happened to me- but I know of many crews that leave bags and equipment at the patients house.

Ha ha. Left a c-spine bag on scene a while ago. We were re stocking and my partner is like, "Hey! Where is the other c spine bag?" We went back to the scene and as we rolled up, there it was. It was cold and snowing and the poor bag had an inch and a half of snow on top and was frozen to the ground.

Almost put diesel in a gas rig once. A looooooong time ago. Now all of our rigs are diesel. And my truck is diesel, so I never go to the gas pump any more which makes it a little easier.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've seen the gas in the diesel rig routine. The worst part was the Critical Care crew had to take a ride back to the station in the back of our BLS van. No one said a word the entire ride back.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
try running out of gas while transporting a pt code to the hospital. than having to figure out who is going to call dispatch to tell them we need either another unit or a helicopter.

Lets just say when we came back on shift, we had plenty of gas around our truck in 5 gallon gas cans...

Simusid

Forum Captain
Driving away from the scene and I'm cleaning up in the back. *SPLAT* goes a 1000cc bag to the floor because I left the overhead open :blush:

That was 20 minutes ago.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Almost put diesel in a gas rig once. A looooooong time ago. Now all of our rigs are diesel. And my truck is diesel, so I never go to the gas pump any more which makes it a little easier.

We have a guy that put Kerosene in the deisel tank (it was his first time and we use a special fill up station for the local large trucks and apparently kerosene providers LOL). Guy still hasn't lived it down...we actually call him Deisel now.

reaper

Working Bum
We have a guy that put Kerosene in the deisel tank (it was his first time and we use a special fill up station for the local large trucks and apparently kerosene providers LOL). Guy still hasn't lived it down...we actually call him Deisel now.

A Deisel will run on Kerosene just fine. Basicly same fuel, Kerosene is just cleaner.;)

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
riding with a squadmate who is a fulltime medic, but was riding as a basic. dropped an o2 bottle on the pt's head. that was great

my most embarrasing moment was when i caught the front bumper of a parked car on the lip of the rear gunwale, popped the bumper right off, still havent lived that down.

Doing a water rescue, my first on our new jet ski, approach the pt, reach down to do the scoop and wasnt balanced right, she pulled me and the jet ski right over. i flipped it back and made the save, but i was pretty embarrassed

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
should call him Mr.Clean

A Deisel will run on Kerosene just fine. Basicly same fuel, Kerosene is just cleaner.;)

yup, just cost more

Sassafras

Forum Captain

I learned that later when I asked the cheif *gasp* "what did you guys do?!" and he laughed at me. I guess it's much more expensive around here though LOL

TraumaNerd

Forum Ride Along
1) drove off with the clipboard on top of the fly car
2) forgot the streatcher
3) dropped the streatcher on my foot...
4) accidently pulled out an old ladys foley...almost quit after that one!
5) locked my partner and myself in the back while trying to keep a phsyc pt from running naked on the expressway

My nickname at work was bad kitty for the first few months...lol

cristianb36

Forum Probie
Ask a violent 5150 to take their vitals...jus don't do it, let them be and take down the vitqals taken at the departing and receving facilities by the guys with the demarol injections.

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
Shameless bump since this thread helped boost my spirits.

I forgot to put O2 on a chest pain call today and got a strong "WTF" look from the medics...felt like an idiot for quite awhile (been doing this a couple months now and it somehow totally slipped my mind in trying to get some kind of a PT history). This thread helped me feel better =X

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
stupid things

This didn't happen to me, but had an ambulance service respond to an "elderly unresponsive pt." at a nursing home, they placed the pt. on the cot and whisked them to the hospital, only to have the pt. wake up, in the ED, and yell at everyone, that she was only trying to sleep. That was funny.

Myself,
I learned never to ask an obese pt. when the baby is due.

I have also left the cot at the hospital. oops!!

I also learned that you don't let a newbie/trainee, push Morphine, slam dunk, 10mg. Had to get the Narcan out.

And I learned to never, never laugh when a guy/yes, a male, tells me that his vulva in his throat is swollen.

And never ask "you put what where?" then snicker

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Lots of medics I know do it, and it works great for them. Me, I write down all of the important information, and then toss my gloves. I learned to just take a second or two to record the information on the run sheet, even if I have to do it on a scrap piece of paper on the clipboard.

I write the vitals on the gloves and don't toss them before writing them down. Or I simply remember them.

ERMedic

Forum Probie
Left the clip board on the diamond plating on the back of the truck, and it somehow stayed there the entire ride, which had ALL the patients history, demographics, etc.

Forgot the stretcher

Put our first in bag on the floor of a house (a not so clean crack house)

Slam an entire milligram of narcan on an overdose, gets a little messy haha

I'm sure I'll think of some more later on.