Stuck on the fence.

Thanks guys. I'm still very unsure about it. I know that military medicine is completely different from the civilian side of it. I would love to get the 68WF6 spot and they make it sound like its doable to switch, or even just a spot on the flight crew, but I don't want to get stuck turning wrenches on the ground for the next 4 years of my life.

Thanks guys. I'm still very unsure about it. I know that military medicine is completely different from the civilian side of it. I would love to get the 68WF6 spot and they make it sound like its doable to switch, or even just a spot on the flight crew, but I don't want to get stuck turning wrenches on the ground for the next 4 years of my life.

what other questions do you have? hopefully either I, Afflixion, or citizensoldierny. Between the 3 of us, we should be able to answer any question you have regarding 68w.

We want to be able to help you, and give you the best information to you, so you can make an educated choice, this choice will change your future. I am truly glad that I joined, and I am sure that Afflixion and Citizen feel the same way.

My biggest question is how plausible is it that I could pull off the mos switch from 15t to 68w? I found my asvab scores. GT 135, CL 139, CO 143, EL 142, FA 143, GM 143, MM 143, OF 143, SC 142, ST 141 with an AFQT of 97.

The unit I am looking at enlisting in is Det 1, 126th Medical Company Air Ambulance out of Stead, NV. The CO out there does not like to fly anyone as a 68W who is under EMT-P or an EMT-I with lots and lots of time in the field. So he wants me to get into the unit as a Tango, and get my EMT-P then request an MOS change, is the way I am understanding it.

What happens if I get 3/4 of the way through medic school and the unit gets deployed? I can't afford to waste that kind of money and then do not want to start medic school over again.

I'm leaning towards taking the leap and going for it, I just don't want to get stuck turning wrenches for my entire enlistment on the ground, even If I don't end up as a Whiskey I think I would be satisfied with a Crew Chief spot if I got to fly and continue to pursue my EMS career on the civilian side of things.

My biggest question is how plausible is it that I could pull off the mos switch from 15t to 68w? I found my asvab scores. GT 135, CL 139, CO 143, EL 142, FA 143, GM 143, MM 143, OF 143, SC 142, ST 141 with an AFQT of 97.

The unit I am looking at enlisting in is Det 1, 126th Medical Company Air Ambulance out of Stead, NV. The CO out there does not like to fly anyone as a 68W who is under EMT-P or an EMT-I with lots and lots of time in the field. So he wants me to get into the unit as a Tango, and get my EMT-P then request an MOS change, is the way I am understanding it.

What happens if I get 3/4 of the way through medic school and the unit gets deployed? I can't afford to waste that kind of money and then do not want to start medic school over again.

I'm leaning towards taking the leap and going for it, I just don't want to get stuck turning wrenches for my entire enlistment on the ground, even If I don't end up as a Whiskey I think I would be satisfied with a Crew Chief spot if I got to fly and continue to pursue my EMS career on the civilian side of things.

Well first off to even get your f6 rating, you first have to be a qualified 68w for 1 year. And that is a complete different subject and has been discussed on this forum about a month ago.

Honestly, talk to your NG Recruiter. Tell him you want a 68w SLOT and only a 68w slot. Since you already took your asvab and from what I remember about it, your scores look fine. Also, when you go to MEPs for your physical and enlistment. Make sure before you sign that you have the 68w training slot and that you are going to fort sam huston texas (FSHTX).

If medical is what you want to do, than do medical and only medical. If you want to be a crew chief, than take the route to do that.

With the education portion, I cant think of the correct answer of the top of my head, there is a few things that I can think off but I dont want to say them because I am not sure which one is right. I am sure afflixion will know that answer or citizen will. Until than, I will try and find out the correct answer for you.

NVROB,
A big +1 on the get it writng. That is the most basic of rules in the Army, conversations got forgotten, misinterpreted, etc. that can't be said for a hard copy in your hands so if you want a 68W slot, I second that you go for a 68W slot only. Who knows what will happen going forward from here if they get a new commander or someone they want in one of those flight slots more. Which leads me to another Army rule, if you have it in writing keep a personal copy and give a copy to someone you can trust parents, brother/sister of the really important stuff, bonus paperwork, DD-214, etc. As for the 15 series MOS's I'm a fan for all the reasons I listed before, plus certain MOS's Avionics, Electronics, Airframe promote fairly quickly , even in the Guard. Not a bad place to be either if you want to consider WOC/Flight school in the future.

As for the school issue in re:deployments you got me, definitely something to consider. Ask your recruiter for what the current rules are. I passed up a goldmine of a stateside deployment last year to complete my EMT-CC. But on the flip side being in the Guard or Reserves can certainly help fund whatever education your considering in your future. The new GI Bill will actually pay you while you go to school in addition to paying for the school itself. Not to mention the schools you'll be able to complete through the military.

One other thing to consider which I don't think any of us touched on is the military lifestyle and experiences which for the most part I love. Hate giving up weekends I could spend with family, or two weeks during the summers but where else could you learn to drive a 5 ton truck with a trailer in New York city traffic, drive humvees with NVG's, shoot machine guns, get trained in Army combatives, land Nav. etc. you will do plenty of things your civilian friends will never do. And the best part is your fellow soldiers you'll being doing these things with. The unit I deployed with felt like a second dysfunctional family to me:wacko: but I definitely feel I'm better for having served with most of the people in it, and felt a loss when we went our seperate ways.

A few other intangibles to consider are pride of service, adventure, continuing or starting a family military tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back