Street EMS vs. Transport

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And as for riding the Captain's seat, I guess it comes down to preference but I do feel as pt advocates, making them feel like a person and not a job is important. I understand, multiple pt's are senile and beyond conversation but still, how professional is texting behind them? And as for anyone who is transporting an ALS pt in the emergency setting (originated from a 9-1-1 call), sitting behind them is completely unprofessional. I don't care how much flack I catch for that statement.

Even the sickest patients in the ICU don't have a provider next to them all the time... why do they need it in the (M)ICU?

If the patient is somewhat 'with it', I'll do what I have to do at the bench, then tell them "I'll be sitting in this chair right behind your head seatbelted in for my safety, let me know if you need anything" and continue to do my job from the safety of the front.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The problem with medicine is that it cannot be made "ridiciously simple"

That line of books is useful as a supplement to a full education, not as a replacement. However, I'd argue that they still have a use.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
If the patient is somewhat 'with it', I'll do what I have to do at the bench, then tell them "I'll be sitting in this chair right behind your head seatbelted in for my safety, let me know if you need anything" and continue to do my job from the safety of the front.

Dude, I use that exact line.

to the OP, go down to Atlantic City. Exceptional Medical Transportation runs it. They will hire anyone with a card and a pulse. Hope you can learn quick.

If you need contact numbers, PM me.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
Ift

Not sure about anyone else, but in both my EMT-Basic and Intermediate class, the patient documentation is mainly for the 911 or taking a patient from nursing home to dialysis, doctors appt etc. However I find it harder to write a PCR, when taking a patient from the hopsital (after being discharged for whatever they went in there with) back to their Nursing home or some cases homes. Any suggestions?

EMTMama

Forum Crew Member
Not sure about anyone else, but in both my EMT-Basic and Intermediate class, the patient documentation is mainly for the 911 or taking a patient from nursing home to dialysis, doctors appt etc. However I find it harder to write a PCR, when taking a patient from the hopsital (after being discharged for whatever they went in there with) back to their Nursing home or some cases homes. Any suggestions?

I look at it like a CYA sort of thing. Keep in mind I've only been doing this a very short period of time (2.5 months), but here's what I do:

History of present illness, past medical history (relevant or not - if it's mentioned in the patient's H&P then it goes in my PCR), then my assessment. I do a real thorough physical exam and comment on any findings and pertinent negatives (patient denies pain, nausea, headache, etc.) I paint a picture of what I find - any bruises, stages of healing, any DC'ed IV lines, foley caths, adult diapers, whatever. If I see/hear/smell it, it goes in my PCR. I even document any ID bands the patient is wearing, what position they're lying in, etc. Unfortunately nursing homes get a lot of lawsuits brought against them, so the more thoroughly you paint the picture of the patient, the better for you.

ETA: of course I list medications, vital signs, allergies, etc. as well.

Last edited by a moderator: