strange but 100% serious question

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Has anyone ever held a compitition, either formal or informal, where two people give chest compressions to a training maniquen, to see who gives up first ?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone ever held a compitition, either formal or informal, where two people give chest compressions to a training maniquen, to see who gives up first ?

Hard to monitor the effort each is giving for the compressions. Also, larger people are going to have more leverage regardless of fitness, so you can't really make it a fair competition.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations

Once you've done compressions during an extended call, you'd just as soon enter a competition to see how many slivers you could have driven under your toenails before giving up. The price ain't worth the glory(?), dude...

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Hard to monitor the effort each is giving for the compressions. Also, larger people are going to have more leverage regardless of fitness, so you can't really make it a fair competition.

Some CPR trainers have a light that goes on when cmpression is proper.

IMHO, it would be 50% phyiscal 50% mental endurance.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

Sure, it's a much more strenuous form of drinking your partner under the table! When you find a sponsor let me know; I'll tune in for the finals!

(Of all the stupid stuff! THIS is my 1,000th post. I wuz thinking I maybe wanted it to be a bit more profound!)

Last edited by a moderator:

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain

Actually it can be measured with a CPR excellence manikin. In my EMT-CC class and ACLS class they had manikins that would gauge your depth of compressions, rate, adequacy of ventilations, etc. and display them on a computer.

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
Actually it can be measured with a CPR excellence manikin. In my EMT-CC class and ACLS class they had manikins that would gauge your depth of compressions, rate, adequacy of ventilations, etc. and display them on a computer.

Phillips MRx Monitors have a little thing that you put on the pt's chest and it gives real time feedback during CPR...the monitor says stuff like "push faster", "push harder", etc. You can also get just visual feedback.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Phillips MRx Monitors have a little thing that you put on the pt's chest and it gives real time feedback during CPR...the monitor says stuff like "push faster", "push harder", etc. You can also get just visual feedback.

Have you ever had that thing telling you to push harder or faster during a class? It's awkward in the presence of most people I know in this field. Just saying...

The answer to the original question is NO. I have no desire. I've had to do solo CPR for some very long transports in my early days and it sucked then.

It's not 50% physical and 50% mental either. My mental never gives up, but my old body gives up pretty quickly anymore. I have a 30 minute with no ROSC termination policy.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Have you ever had that thing telling you to push harder or faster during a class? It's awkward in the presence of most people I know in this field. Just saying...

The answer to the original question is NO. I have no desire. I've had to do solo CPR for some very long transports in my early days and it sucked then.

It's not 50% physical and 50% mental either. My mental never gives up, but my old body gives up pretty quickly anymore. I have a 30 minute with no ROSC termination policy.

I just have a question, i have nil field experience.

Being in York PA how long a trip to hospital ?

And how long can a human body be given CPR and then revived in a hospital ?

Thirty minutes of chest compressions seems like a vey long time. Is there a documented record of the longest time where the patient survived?

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
Last edited by a moderator:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the amount of time you can do CPR is really only limited by your own fatigue and the physical damage you are causing the patients thoracic cavity. If you are doing good compressions, perfusion will not be the limiting factor. After following that link, I remembered that there are some conditions that can require extended CPR. Cardiac arrest following poisonings and some animal stings may require hours of CPR before cardiac function is restored, but if there is no underlying problem with the heart, you can bring a lot of those back, so its worth it to try.

Scout

Para-Noid
There are training tools that will rate your effective compressions, there is also an iphone app that works just as well.

Could get kind of boring, but a score based challenge over 10-15min could be interesting.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
There are training tools that will rate your effective compressions, there is also an iphone app that works just as well.

Could get kind of boring, but a score based challenge over 10-15min could be interesting.

Aside from fatigue, it could get boring, like a hands on car competition.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
When we got a new CPR device we were tested on our CPR endurance for the study. You should have seen how quickly the paramedics were calling for a BLS intercept.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
We have 40-60 minute transports and always work them if we transport. If we get any form of rhythm they go even if it's lost right away. We have had o e patien come back after 40 minutes of CPR according to our chief so they are getting worked as long as the external medic unit allows us.