Still in school but completely worried about employment

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
@chaz90 what do you recommend I do
My opinion isn't going to be worth much in this case. I've barely even been to Florida (once as a kid to visit Disney World) and I know absolutely nothing about Florida EMS.

That being said, other's advice seems to be good. Florida isn't known as the best state for EMS employment, but if you need to move there for something else the job will have to be secondary.

Like anywhere else in EMS, recognize that "paying your dues" is often necessary. Your first job as a young, brand new EMT won't likely be as a well paid municipal EMT. Apply for all local private services. Your first job will likely be IFT only and possibly exclusively BLS. Keep in mind that these experiences are not to be discounted and can give you valuable experience talking to patients and performing assessments while at least keeping a steady paycheck coming.

Good luck, and welcome to EMS.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
My opinion isn't going to be worth much in this case. I've barely even been to Florida (once as a kid to visit Disney World) and I know absolutely nothing about Florida EMS.

That being said, other's advice seems to be good. Florida isn't known as the best state for EMS employment, but if you need to move there for something else the job will have to be secondary.

Like anywhere else in EMS, recognize that "paying your dues" is often necessary. Your first job as a young, brand new EMT won't likely be as a well paid municipal EMT. Apply for all local private services. Your first job will likely be IFT only and possibly exclusively BLS. Keep in mind that these experiences are not to be discounted and can give you valuable experience talking to patients and performing assessments while at least keeping a steady paycheck coming.

Good luck, and welcome to EMS.
THANK YOU :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
Airmed is something you can't do for a while lol. I meant those are my choices. Sunstar is good and amr has operations in the area. Check with them
any other places you think i should look into where employment is concerned in florida being that your from the area

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
any other places you think i should look into where employment is concerned in florida being that your from the area

Where I live, in Los Angeles, a fairly common thing to do right out of school is being an ER Tech. Some hospitals don't even require a certification, just proof that you finished the class. 75% sure it will count towards your hours required to attend paramedic school as well. And personally I think it's better experience than running IFT's.

Anyways, I don't know if Tampa Bay has EMT ER Tech's, but if they do you could apply to some hospitals around there.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Drive by an ER ambulance bay and make note of the services there. Then apply for any and all that you see. As a new provider it'd better to just get on with someone

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Where I live, in Los Angeles, a fairly common thing to do right out of school is being an ER Tech. Some hospitals don't even require a certification, just proof that you finished the class. 75% sure it will count towards your hours required to attend paramedic school as well. And personally I think it's better experience than running IFT's.

Anyways, I don't know if Tampa Bay has EMT ER Tech's, but if they do you could apply to some hospitals around there.
A lot of places don't have hour requirements to do paramedic schools luckily. And out there from what I gather ER tech jobs are for those with experience

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Really?? Where I live you need 6 months of EMT work experience to attend paramedic school D:
Nowhere in nm has that. Very few places in Texas. It's seems to be mainly concentrated in California

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
After some research, You are indeed correct.

In 2012, there were 16,800 employed EMTs and paramedics, with projected annual job openings at 850.

In 2012, there were 9,510 employed EMTs and paramedics, with projected annual job openings at 470.

This just shows that at either location, there is approximately 5% attrition/growth.

The ideal data would be qualified applicants compared to the job openings.

tconti12

Forum Ride Along
Well in Tampa there are 3 private companies that hire emts. Transcare, americare, and amr. If you are a little north of Tampa then there is medfleet in New port Richey, rural metro of Sumter county, and nature coast ems. Both rural metro and nature coast ems are als with an emt as a driver, just like sunstar. You can apply to a hospital as an er tech but it's really hard to get hired without experience. Busch Gardens also hires emts but you need at least one year of experience.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
Well in Tampa there are 3 private companies that hire emts. Transcare, americare, and amr. If you are a little north of Tampa then there is medfleet in New port Richey, rural metro of Sumter county, and nature coast ems. Both rural metro and nature coast ems are als with an emt as a driver, just like sunstar. You can apply to a hospital as an er tech but it's really hard to get hired without experience. Busch Gardens also hires emts but you need at least one year of experience.
Ill be residing in the tempel terrace area but thank you so so so so much I will look into those places I do recall seeing busch gardens hiring for a emt as well as lego land...do you think the cvo certification serves much purpose?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What is CVO?

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
Im just doing the cvo certification because it can be used nation wide and its always bettwr in my eyes to be over prepared than under prepared

BloodSweatGlitter

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I am honestly looking for some advice. I am currently still in EMT school in the state of New York and I'm so excited to finish and move to Florida and start my career. I plan to get my NREMT certification but after that i have no clue what my next steps should be and what i should expect:(. PLEASE HELP!!!
Heads up, I did my basic course in Virginia and then moved back to Florida once I got my cert. I took the nremt exam as apart of Virginia certification in June and passed. I went to apply for my Florida certification and they made me retake national registry exam in July- AGAIN. The FL website sucks, but I called NREMT and they were very helpful explaining everything.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
Heads up, I did my basic course in Virginia and then moved back to Florida once I got my cert. I took the nremt exam as apart of Virginia certification in June and passed. I went to apply for my Florida certification and they made me retake national registry exam in July- AGAIN. The FL website sucks, but I called NREMT and they were very helpful explaining everything.
thank you so much that helps a lot so in other words you think i should wait and take my nremt there

BloodSweatGlitter

Forum Ride Along
thank you so much that helps a lot so in other words you think i should wait and take my nremt there
You might not have a choice if the state of New York uses the nremt exam for state certification, which was my problem in Virginia. And about finding work, I got my fl cert this August and found a job September (over a week ago) and I'm in the Jacksonville area.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
New York doesnt use nermt i was just gonna take that exam so that i could be a step ahead and receive employment asap upon moving.