stethescopes

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I have the stethescope (sp?) that was included in my EMT-b class.

I want to put off buying the $100 Littman Scope for awhile, if I can.

Is a Littman really going to be that much better than a cheapy to start with?

Or do I need to get it ASAP the second I start handling patients?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Search stethoscope. We have a mega thread that addresses basically any and every question you can dream up.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have the stethescope (sp?) that was included in my EMT-b class.

I want to put off buying the $100 Littman Scope for awhile, if I can.

Is a Littman really going to be that much better than a cheapy to start with?

Or do I need to get it ASAP the second I start handling patients?

A stethoscope is a tool. Like any tool, it is the user, not the device that makes the difference.

Just because a person buys the best car doesn't mean they can drive.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
however, (not sure I agree with comparison..cars/scopes)

A stethoscope is a tool. Like any tool, it is the user, not the device that makes the difference.

Just because a person buys the best car doesn't mean they can drive.

The cheapest car, if in good repair, will get me from point A to point B....

Will the stethescope that came with my course allow me to hear well enough

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The cheapest car, if in good repair, will get me from point A to point B....

right, but if you don't know the difference between regurgitation and stenosis, there is not really much point in buying a scope that will let you hear it.

If all you are listening for is a heart beat, breath sounds, and a BP, you should be more than good for now.

Medicus

Forum Probie
I'd agree with what has already been said, you should be fine with what you have for now. You are an EMT which means you probably listen in an environment with a lot of background noise making it difficult to pick up some of the finer sounds a more expensive scope might find. Enjoy your time on the ambulance, learn as much as you can, and save up some money for that stethoscope if you really want it- that way, when the time comes and you want to buy it, you won't even notice the money missing.

-Medicus

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Just something else to keep in mind down the road:

The more expensive your personal equipment is, the more likely you are to lose it.

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
Depends on your hearing. ;) I was using one that was also included in my EMT class but I had problems with it. Littman helped me allot... Maybe, for now, stick with what you have and learn your toll the best you can.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I know these topics have been beat to death, then resuss'd and beat to death again, but I'll toss my 2 bits out - if you're having trouble hearing, first, try more practice. Second, one of the best things about the Littmanns are the earpieces. You can buy a pair of Littmann ears from Amazon for $10 - they won't make a $10 'scope into a $100 one, but they usually will provide a better seal against outside noises, at significantly less cost to you.

Charmeck

Forum Crew Member
I know these topics have been beat to death, then resuss'd and beat to death again, but I'll toss my 2 bits out - if you're having trouble hearing, first, try more practice. Second, one of the best things about the Littmanns are the earpieces. You can buy a pair of Littmann ears from Amazon for $10 - they won't make a $10 'scope into a $100 one, but they usually will provide a better seal against outside noises, at significantly less cost to you.

That, and it just makes it more comfortable to wear!

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd say whether you need a new scope or not should have at least a little to do with your original scope. If its decent, like one of the spragues, keep it for a while and see how it does. If its lower quality than that, you should probably upgrade.

swissmedic

Forum Probie
Hi
Since 10 years i use a littmann cardiology III.
It works great for any adult or pediatric patients ;-)
Matt

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
I have a Littmann Classic II SE stethoscope that i bought from Steeles.com for about $70. I love it! It works much better on the back of the ambulance, you don't hear as much "background" noise when trying to take a blood pressure and listen for breath sounds.

It does depend on your hearing as well though.

A little hint, if you're trying to take a b/p enroute to somewhere, if you place your feet on the frame of the stretcher rather than on the floor...you will eliminate hearing a lot of road noise from the ambulance.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Ive got a prestige medical, it works well for me and i only paid 16 for it on sale at the local uniform shop, its good for bps and i can hear lung sounds, ive got the full rebuild kit so im set for a while. Yeah later on i might shell out over a 100 but being a rookie, i dont need one that expensive. Whatever you do dont buy a 10 cheapy, i was given one to use for class and it was junk i couldnt even do bps. Spend around 20-30 for a prestige they last a long time too, my backup was given to me by a family freind whos had it for 8 years.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As I've said on other threads (cause there are tons of them) I love my ultrascope and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Themyst

Forum Probie
I have a Littmann Classic II SE stethoscope that i bought from Steeles.com for about $70. I love it!

This is helpful. I'm undecided between the Littman Classic II SE and the Littman Master Classic II.

I did my clinical yesterday at the ER. I had borrowed my student stethoscope to use. For about five hours, I felt like a failure because I had difficulty hearing and couldn't find the pulse. Then a kind ER nurse informed me that my stethoscope was a crappy one and I should just throw it out, and she let me borrow hers for the rest of the night. What a difference. I was Super Vitals Woman from that point on.

*goes off to find the informative stethoscope thread*

Themyst

Forum Probie
Well, for anyone wondering with fervid anticipation, I chose the Littmann Classic II SE. It seems to be a very popular model and the members who posted about it seem sufficiently satisfied.

As far as the Master Classic II is concerned, I didn't find much info on it, however, the info I did find would seem to indicate a bit of a learning curve with the bell.

Also, I had it engraved with my name, so I could easily identify it if it decides to walk off.

slloth

Forum Crew Member
Well, for anyone wondering with fervid anticipation, I chose the Littmann Classic II SE.

Thats the same one I went with. I had it for under two months and the diaphragm broke off. It may have been my fault when I was getting out of the rig and it was caught up somewhere as I was closing the door. I'm going to send it in and see if they can fix it.

I bought it because I am really in to my job and love new EMS toys. Plus its nice having my own scope. I know where its been! If I have a patient with MESA or a know isolation precaution I use the stethoscope on the rig. Plus I just look super cool with my stethoscope around my neck in the E.R. :p

It reminds the nurses that I'm more than just an ambulance driver! I'm also a guy with a stethoscope! he he.