starting school, then what?

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
So i am starting class for EMT-b in the next week and am very excited about it. i've been browsing through here and see many people saying that they have already started applying for jobs, or have started class and have sponsors and all kinds of other things.. what does all of this mean? should i be doing more then just focusing on doing well in class right now? should i be applying for jobs or getting sponsors or anything? any help you can offer would really be appreciated...<_<

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don't already have a sponsor lined up, don't worry about it at this point. A sponsor is usually a department or company that signs you and sends you to school on their dime usually in return for working for them for a specified contract period of time. For example, my department will pay for 100% of tuition, books and fees, in exchange for being a volunteer for a minimum of 5 years from the date of graduation for a paramedic. I think the commitment is 2 years for an intermediate.

Don't worry about looking for jobs right now. If you make a good impression during clinicals, there will be plenty of time for networking there.

Welcome to the forums!