starting part time EMT course in 2 months, what area of study should i concentrate on in the meantime?

Hopeful

Forum Ride Along
hi everyone, the title says it all really, im just a humble care worker with high hopes. to be honest i think i may have bitten off more than i can chew, im also trying to raise a 3 year old (not alone thankfully) and have numerous personal problems, some quite debilitating. im just hoping upon hope that if i start studying in advance its not going to overwhelm me when the time comes. Any advise will be appreciated

thanks
Dean

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLIFE! My experience in EMT school was that we went through the textbook chapter-by-chapter.

Get a copy of the textbook and start reading, taking notes, and making flash cards/study tools.

Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Hopeful

Forum Ride Along
thanks for that. umm until i can get a copy is it worth my while learning exact medical terminology for human anatomy? the person selling me the course advised me not to get bogged down in medical terminology but just for example the 4 valves of the human heart, the tricuspid, pulmonary, mitral and aortic. am i going to be expected to know details like that off by heart (no pun intended) and what they do.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
hi everyone, the title says it all really, im just a humble care worker with high hopes. to be honest i think i may have bitten off more than i can chew, im also trying to raise a 3 year old (not alone thankfully) and have numerous personal problems, some quite debilitating. im just hoping upon hope that if i start studying in advance its not going to overwhelm me when the time comes. Any advise will be appreciated

thanks
Dean
The part about numerous, debilitating personal problems makes me wonder if they can and should be addressed before you begin a new venture -- particularly one where you will be at least partly responsible for the welfare of others. Nothing personal, just speculating about priorities and routes to long-term success.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Honestly, the EMT-B course is about on par with high school classes in terms of difficulty. Pay attention in class and don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't understand something.

OP
OP
H

Hopeful

Forum Ride Along
i quite honestly agree that i probably am not in an ideal situation for this, im 33 raising a toddler who is quite difficult at the moment, i suffer with untreated sleep apnea (recently diagnosed) apparently also adhd although i have mixed feelings about that that untreated sleep apnea could have some adhd like symptoms, ill be honest i also have general mood instability and anxiety, for that at least i am medicated.
I have a pretty high IQ im in the gifted range although i don't think IQ is a reliable measure of intelligence and it certainly isnt any indicator of how well you will do in life, i have trouble with concentration and often come off as thick as ****e even if i know im not really.....or maybe i am.

Somebody mentioned EMT-B course is on par with high school lessons, i am from Ireland and the course i am taking has 150 hours of class study and 39 hours of clinical placement IF i succeed will put me on a level just below paramedic.
https://ambulancetraining.ie/ its the emt (phecc) course, so i don't think it is the equivalent of the EMT-B

Ive just wanted for some time to take my career and education further, as i say I've been just a care worker off and on up until now and i feel like im wasting away, also that im not earning enough and that i'm a terrible example for my littleun. that's what prompted me to take action, the course i have already paid for. but yes i'm having more than a little anxiety now that i am going to fail badly. my tactic is to absolutely program myself to know the job and relevant information off by heart through sheer repeated study until it is second nature, im well aware i may fail first time. but am prepared to try again.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
i quite honestly agree that i probably am not in an ideal situation for this, im 33 raising a toddler who is quite difficult at the moment, i suffer with untreated sleep apnea (recently diagnosed) apparently also adhd although i have mixed feelings about that that untreated sleep apnea could have some adhd like symptoms, ill be honest i also have general mood instability and anxiety, for that at least i am medicated.
I have a pretty high IQ im in the gifted range although i don't think IQ is a reliable measure of intelligence and it certainly isnt any indicator of how well you will do in life, i have trouble with concentration and often come off as thick as ****e even if i know im not really.....or maybe i am.

Somebody mentioned EMT-B course is on par with high school lessons, i am from Ireland and the course i am taking has 150 hours of class study and 39 hours of clinical placement IF i succeed will put me on a level just below paramedic.
https://ambulancetraining.ie/ its the emt (phecc) course, so i don't think it is the equivalent of the EMT-B

Ive just wanted for some time to take my career and education further, as i say I've been just a care worker off and on up until now and i feel like im wasting away, also that im not earning enough and that i'm a terrible example for my littleun. that's what prompted me to take action, the course i have already paid for. but yes i'm having more than a little anxiety now that i am going to fail badly. my tactic is to absolutely program myself to know the job and relevant information off by heart through sheer repeated study until it is second nature, im well aware i may fail first time. but am prepared to try again.
European standards for EMS are higher than those in the US.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Hopeful, no one knows if you'd be overwhelmed (your initial concern). I'd say most of us didn't know how we'd do with EMS until we got into it. Some of us have dealt with personal issues similar to the ones you described. It's harder -- not impossible, just harder -- to succeed at a relatively stressful occupation when you add new stressors to old ones.

Do you have other options?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
My question is why is the sleep apnea untreated? That's a pretty big concern and one that could make a huge difference in your life if properly treated

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

Looks pretty close to EMT B to me, and less in many ways. Apparently you can’t put ears on a chest or calculate a GCS?