Starting my journey to become a firefighter

Louisnguyen99

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone!

I stumbled across this forum while doing research on how to get my emt in Washington state. I am very confused about what course I can take. I would much rather do a hybrid course because of the time flexibility.
I found a couple courses online for Washington state but I’m not sure if it’s accredited? I heard that even if I take some courses, Washington state wouldn’t license me because I am certified not on the state level? Can someone explain the process for me please? Below are the links to some of the courses I am considering taking. Thank you!
https://nwrtc.org/courses/emt-training/emt-online

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Im Washington state, each county had an EMS office that would be your best source for this info. But...in Washington (at least when I was there), you couldn't get certified as an EMT until you were affiliated with an EMS agency. Im not sure if this has changed in the yeara since I left.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If your program is based in Washington, online or not, as long as you can take the NREMT the state will let you apply for a provisional license. Then you have to get hired by an agency to sponsor your license where your license will become active. It looks and sounds complicated. It really isn't.

Again things may have changed over the three years I've been gone but that is how it worked.

OP
OP
L

Louisnguyen99

Forum Ride Along
If your program is based in Washington, online or not, as long as you can take the NREMT the state will let you apply for a provisional license. Then you have to get hired by an agency to sponsor your license where your license will become active. It looks and sounds complicated. It really isn't.

Again things may have changed over the three years I've been gone but that is how it worked.
Thank you! This clears up a lot of my confusions.