Start school in Jan 2008

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Although, I realize you are eager to learn and I appreciate that, be sure to follow your text and suggested guidelines. Some instructors are more intense on what they want their students to learn and how, so follow your syllabus and not to have to re-learn anything I would just read ahead the objectives.

When investing in an anatomy book, be sure that you purchase a physiology one as well. One may know the parts, but unless one realizes how those parts work, it does not matter.

Good luck!

R/r 911

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
I totally understand... and I did get a book like that. Thanks for the advice

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
suggestions for EMT Class

Yes, I do have a suggestion for you. Prepare to be TOUCHED a lot. I used to be a very private, "non-touchy-feely" type, but throughout EMT school, I got over that really quick. Nothing is more fun that being strapped to a backboard and flipped over to "test" the strapping. :rolleyes: Blood pressures and pulses, c-collars around your neck.....lots of "maintaining c-spine"....

I think you'll learn a lot, and have a great time. Don't mean to be the dodo bird of the crowd, but I didn't find EMT school all that easy. :blush: Some aspects of the class were simple, some were more challenging. My favorite part was my first time participating in a staged mass casualty incident. It's one thing to learn it behind a desk, but a whole other story when people are running around, and screaming in your face, and crying (and laughing) all at the same time! If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
hahah "TOUCHED".....thought of something funny, sorry! Your not a dodo bird, I'll take all the advice in the world. See that's me partipating in a staged mass casualty incident. You see my pic...that was me today at CPR class for work....I'm the first one to jump into anything. I'll be in touch, thanks for the advice!!

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
My husband is the worst pt. LOL Breath sounds how am I going to do that? I dont know all the different sounds.

For starters, just listen to any you can. You will quickly figure out what's normal. If you know what is normal, the abnormal sound are the other ones. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Generally there's one or more students in the class who are recerting and have field experience. Stick to them like glue during all the practical sessions. And, if you don't understand something and everyone else is nodding like a bunch of bobble head dolls, speak up, ask for further clarification and keep asking until you understand.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
For starters, just listen to any you can. You will quickly figure out what's normal. If you know what is normal, the abnormal sound are the other ones. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Got IT!!!! Yea, I think I can figure out normal....:unsure:

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
Generally there's one or more students in the class who are recerting and have field experience. Stick to them like glue during all the practical sessions. And, if you don't understand something and everyone else is nodding like a bunch of bobble head dolls, speak up, ask for further clarification and keep asking until you understand.

No question is every stupid....got it. I guess I take the same advice I give my kids. If you don't know it... ask. I was told by another emt from another squad that I should see if I can do ride alongs now...any suggestions?

I guess I should see if our squad allows it.

bemt17

Forum Ride Along
The class isn't all that hard I took a 6 week emt class when I was a sophmore in HS and it took me 2 tries at the final state written exam only because I freeze up with written exams but the practical I flew through with ease and dont let the instructors scare you with how they talk about the state exams there not as hard as they make it seem.

reaper

Working Bum
The class isn't all that hard I took a 6 week emt class when I was a sophmore in HS and it took me 2 tries at the final state written exam only because I freeze up with written exams but the practical I flew through with ease and dont let the instructors scare you with how they talk about the state exams there not as hard as they make it seem.

:unsure::ph34r::wacko::blush::sad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I hate to be the dumbass in the group, but I'm not finding it "easy"... I'm studying my *** off for my A grade. I'm also working the equilivent of 3-8 hour days for this class plus study time.

In the field, I feel like a jackass because I have SO much to learn!! I haven't had anything "easy" yet!!! Of course, I majored in Geography with a double minor in geology and planning... I've never taken or paid attention to anything medical before July 10th when my class started.

PS.. I'm in EMT-intermediate school.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
:unsure::ph34r::wacko::blush::sad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks! I appreciated it. I was told by a few ppl that were I'm going it a little rough. I figure that as long as I pay attention like a lot you mentioned I'll be fine. I been trying to read an A&P book to get some understanding. I went to nursing school back in 1994, but wasn't able to finish so I do have some what a medical background. I'll take all the advice I can get and will keep everyone updated. I love hands on. Thanks for the support!!

Donna
Futureemt

Jolt

Forum Crew Member
I know this topic is getting a little old, but...

I found this web site a while back if you want to try it for heart and lung sounds http://www.wilkes.med.ucla.edu/inex.htm. It helps you get the idea about what you might be listening for.

And I saw those smilies, reaper. :) I took my EMT class in the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school and it was only 5 weeks long! I didn't have a problem with it and I breezed through my state exams on the first shot. Feel free to judge.

reaper

Working Bum

I found this web site a while back if you want to try it for heart and lung sounds http://www.wilkes.med.ucla.edu/inex.htm. It helps you get the idea about what you might be listening for.

And I saw those smilies, reaper. :) I took my EMT class in the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school and it was only 5 weeks long! I didn't have a problem with it and I breezed through my state exams on the first shot. Feel free to judge.

That was for the length of the school!

No offense, but yours was a joke too! EMT classes are dumbed down enough. There is no way it should be done in less then 2 months!

Sorry, but I don't want anyone treating me, that only has 5-6 weeks of training!:unsure:

Just because you breeze through it and pass the exam, does not mean you learned what you needed to know. Do you want a surgeon working on you, that got through med school in 6 months?

This is why a lot of people are putting down the EMT training that is out there now. I definitely don't think it should be done by a 15-16 yo in HS. Maybe as a 3-4 semester senior, but no sooner.

I do like EMT training in HS as a senior, so then you can go straight to medic school and be taught the right way.:)

ali

Forum Ride Along
enjoy

I am finishing my EMT class now, my advice is to pay attention and have fun. My class got really close and we are all friends and we are always willing to help each other which helped a lot. Remember the basics: ABCs, personal safety is the most important thing and PMS.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
I am finishing my EMT class now, my advice is to pay attention and have fun. My class got really close and we are all friends and we are always willing to help each other which helped a lot. Remember the basics: ABCs, personal safety is the most important thing and PMS.

Thanks so much....I appreciated it

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
I start in January too! The first day of class is my birthday...woot! :wacko:

We should stay in touch...let me know if you want my direct email and IM--I also have myspace

Donna

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member

This was great site...thanks. I do remember some stuff when I was in nursing school like 12 yrs ago

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
I hate to be the dumbass in the group, but I'm not finding it "easy"... I'm studying my *** off for my A grade. I'm also working the equilivent of 3-8 hour days for this class plus study time.

In the field, I feel like a jackass because I have SO much to learn!! I haven't had anything "easy" yet!!! Of course, I majored in Geography with a double minor in geology and planning... I've never taken or paid attention to anything medical before July 10th when my class started.

PS.. I'm in EMT-intermediate school.

Why would you call yourself that. Everyone has to start somewhere.