Start EMT-Basic Program tomorrow

Sally21

Forum Crew Member
Hello! Im new to this form and to the EMT program which I will be starting tomorrow. Any good advice you can give me? Tips, pointers, ect.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
read assigned chapters and material before going to class. Take part in as much hands on as you can. Try to understand why you are doing something...it is easier to remember. Just because you learn something one way, doesn't mean another way is wrong.

A lot of what you will learn will change as evidence and practices evolve.(this is better advice for once you are almost done/start working) don't be that person who doesn't keep up and uses the excuse "but my instructor/class did / taught it this way".

Welcome to EMTlife and good luck with your course.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Good luck in class! One thing to keep in mind is that EMS courses are a whole different animal when compared to other educational courses, be it school or academy. I'm not saying its harder or easier, just letting you know that it IS different and thus you should give the class style some time to settle with you, and you to settle with it. That said, I noticed very much with my EMT-B course that you truly get out what you put in. It is not a crazy, high acuity course, and many people can skirt by and pass. But my favorite question is, do you want your neuro surgeon to have gotten a 75 in his anatomy and physiology class? Put forth the effort, because it isn't about the grades, its about taking care of your business now so you can take care of business later when a patient is in your truck.

On a side note, to go with the above, be the one to volunteer. Do as many scenarios as you can do in school, because it is hard to find that kind of environment elsewhere, especially with the equipment.

Again, good luck!

Drax

Forum Captain
Don't take your national registry test on a Friday.

Go to study group outside of class.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't take your national registry test on a Friday.

Now that is a tip. If you do, do it in the morning. I guess I got lucky with mine being on a Friday, as I ended up hearing by the time I got back in town (2 hours later). That said, the quickest way to find out is by logging into the NREMT website.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
read assigned chapters and material before going to class. Take part in as much hands on as you can. Try to understand why you are doing something...it is easier to remember. Just because you learn something one way, doesn't mean another way is wrong. <snip>

I second this, particularly with reading the assigned chapters. You would be surprised how many people don't read the chapters, and then they sometimes fail the final. :p (Let's not even discuss NREMT!)

agah

Forum Crew Member
Tons of people in my class failed the midterms. Take the program seriously (not saying that you aren't ;)). Go "elbow deep", don't be a wallflower, ask questions and study, study, study. Take your skills seriously from the get-go.