Sponge gauze?

RebelAngel

White Cloud
In our storage closet we have various sizes of "sponge" according to the package. Are these the same things as "gauze"? I don't know if these would pass for our part 800 list or not, and if they serve the same purpose in the same way as the packages labeled "gauze" would. There is nothing labeled "sponge" on our ambulance.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tear one open! :cool:

A sponge is any medical compress or material designed to be absorbent. It is a descriptor of absorbency, versus physical attribute like "pad" (flat), "tampon" (stiff elongated thingee which is absorbent including QTips), suture (a threadlike sewing item with or without needle and despite its material).

"SPONGE, gauze, sterile, 4X4, pair" was the classic flat paper packs of two sterile woven cotton gauze 4X4's.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Tear one open an look. If you are still unsure ask a supervisor. Never heard of or know what the 800 list is so can't help you there.

mycrofft

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Long board was the first item. (1) one full size (at least 72 inches long and 16 inches wide) backboard with necessary straps capable of immobilizing the spine of a recumbent patient;

mycrofft

I didn't read closely, thought it was "DEPRESSOR, Tongue, indiv., sterile".