Splinting of A Fractured Sternum??

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Hold your horses buddy! Several issues here.

#1) Thoracostomy? What, what.......just automatically?
#2) Since when have splints needed to be sterile?
#3) "Going crazy" with the tape, why? So we can inhibit chest wall expansion?
#4)Pain medication optional? Oh really? I suppose TECHNICALLY it is. But answer this: You have just had your chest crushed, your sternum completely separated, you cannot breathe, someone has just shoved a 10 guage railroad spike between your few good ribs left, and applied the equivalent pressure of a Army sandbag on your chest with tape and dressings. Do you want a leetle something? Or...was that just an option?

I would not recommend the approach suggested by yourself, simply because the taping and splinting will, as aforementioned, restrict chest all movement while not doing all that much to stabilize the flailed sternum. (Unless of course you splint it tight enough to secure it to the spine.) Furthermore, the reduced expansion will reduce airflow (no duh) to an already damaged and probably swelling portion of lung tissue, greatly increasing the likelihood of developing atelectasis.

Now then, the thoracostamy, do keep that in mind as it will come in later. (Actually, the consideration thereof will come in.)

As for the problem of reduced air movement (due to decreased airway pressures) CPAP or PPV has been shown to be marvelously effective in the cases of flail segments and separated sturnums (now THAT is an odd plural....). All these failing of course, simply RSI that poor dude (who by now would be screaming from lack of pain control. Or possibly not screaming because of near inability to move air....but would still be screaming in his head.) SO....hit him with some fentynal, or morphine, or something! (Preferably well before some of these interventions.)

The thoracostamy in my opinion really only comes into play in this case in the event the patient develops as tension pneumothorax secondary to positive airway pressure.

Side note: If I ever run across a medic who is doing needle thoracostamys arbitrarily on any chest trauma patient, I will get a bunch of firefighters to hold him down while I administer a needle thoracostamy to release all of the evil heart he has inside that chest.

Somebody needs a nap ;)

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
I've only seen a couple of these; one rugby, one motorcyclist. Both were very hard to diagnose, there were no clues from examination, plain CXR revealed nothing, lateral sternum gave the diagnosis in the first and a very close look at a CT traumagram gave the latter.

As with a broken rib, there's no specific treatment. Analgesia immediately with chest physio in the medium term to prevent atelectasis and the complications associated with that.

What's important is that a sternal fracture is a high energy injury and carries a high association with thoracic vertebral injury. Injuries to the mediastinum, including pericardial effusion and aortic disruption, are also worth considering as is pneumothorax and pulmonary contusion. Most people recommend admitting these people for observation on a cardiac monitor.

So, in answer to your question. If a paramedic has a patient with a fractured sternum there are three things to do; analgesia, transport and bring your x-ray eyes to hossie where we can make better use of them. I suspect that your instructor is asking about whether you'd splint the spine, to which the answer is probably.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/826169-overview
http://lifeinthefastlane.com/2010/10/sternal-fractures/

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"Both were very hard to diagnose, there were no clues from examination, plain CXR revealed nothing, lateral sternum gave the diagnosis in the first and a very close look at a CT traumagram gave the latter."

Not really a field issue then.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I would imagine splint it similar to flail chest, depending on severity.
The problem then is, how do you treat a flail chest. There's a range of recommendations from position of comfort only to bulky dressings to lying on affected side to PPV, etc.

OP
OP
Uller55

Uller55

Forum Ride Along
WOW.....did't think I would get these responses.......thanks to every one for your reply.... I passed my ITLS...yay....as for the Fx...no splinting......just cardiac monitoring......

hummingbird

Forum Ride Along
Fx. sternum

That's a little bit much, I fractured mine and I could breathe ;) It hurt a lot but that was about it, and no worse than the broken ribs.

I wonder if your ITLS instructor is on here....
Response
My sister suffered a fractured sternum in a head-on auto collision. I would have to disagree that it is no worse than broken ribs. One year later my sister still has problems, cannot lift a child, needs to see a pulmonologist on a fairly regular basis, continues to have a coughing problem and recently an upper respiratory infection. Has been advised it would not be wise to visit me in Florida at this time because of the heat and humidity, which would likely make it difficult for her to breathe.
Olive - EMT (NYS)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Response
My sister suffered a fractured sternum in a head-on auto collision. I would have to disagree that it is no worse than broken ribs. One year later my sister still has problems, cannot lift a child, needs to see a pulmonologist on a fairly regular basis, continues to have a coughing problem and recently an upper respiratory infection. Has been advised it would not be wise to visit me in Florida at this time because of the heat and humidity, which would likely make it difficult for her to breathe.
Olive - EMT (NYS)

But are these problems a direct result of the fractured sternum or some other injury such as a pulmonary contusion that occurred at the same time? Sounds more like the sternum fracture was a simultaneous injury.

hummingbird

Forum Ride Along
Fx. sternum

But are these problems a direct result of the fractured sternum or some other injury such as a pulmonary contusion that occurred at the same time? Sounds more like the sternum fracture was a simultaneous injury.

I am not sure what you mean by a simultaneous injury. She was told that she suffered a fracture of her sternum (which by the way was very painful,) past that I don't know. All I do know is that it has quite changed her life and her abilities, she loves to lift up and play with her grandchildren but she is unable to do so now. My point was merely to comment that it is much worse than a rib injury, someone had stated it was no big deal nothing more than a broken rib. Again, I have to disagree. By the way I would imagine it is quite difficult to splint. Thank you.
Olive

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
He means another injury besides the fractured sternum. A fractured sternum, once healed, should not cause long term lung problems unless the lungs were also injured. If she got pneumonia after fracturing her sternum that could potentially cause long term problems too.

hummingbird

Forum Ride Along
Fx. sternum

He means another injury besides the fractured sternum. A fractured sternum, once healed, should not cause long term lung problems unless the lungs were also injured. If she got pneumonia after fracturing her sternum that could potentially cause long term problems too.

I do realize simultaneous means at the same time, it was just in how he phrased it, didn't make sense to me. Yes, she obviously is suffering long-term problems. Thank you.
Olive

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I do realize simultaneous means at the same time, it was just in how he phrased it, didn't make sense to me. Yes, she obviously is suffering long-term problems. Thank you.
Olive

Sorry if I worded that weird. What I meant was the long term problems she is having is most likely not the direct result of the fracture. I am assuming it takes a decent amount of direct force to fracture the sternum which would also cause various other problems. I think a pulmonary contusion or something like that also occurred as a result of the accident and is what is contributing to the chronic conditons.

Kind of like a broken scapula, it's takes an excessive amount of force to break one which undoubtably will also result in internal damage however the broken scapula probably has nothing to do with the complications.

hummingbird

Forum Ride Along
Sorry if I worded that weird. What I meant was the long term problems she is having is most likely not the direct result of the fracture. I am assuming it takes a decent amount of direct force to fracture the sternum which would also cause various other problems. I think a pulmonary contusion or something like that also occurred as a result of the accident and is what is contributing to the chronic conditons.

Kind of like a broken scapula, it's takes an excessive amount of force to break one which undoubtably will also result in internal damage however the broken scapula probably has nothing to do with the complications.

She was a front-seat passenger in a head-on collision truck -v- car so yes there would have been much direct force and car loses. You are probably correct in your assumption about internal injuries but I do not know the answer to that. She lives in New Jersey and I live in Florida. Thank you for your help.
Olive Devine EMT (NYS)

vbasulto

Forum Ride Along
What about a KED, extrication device. Don't cinch it too much and it would support the whole rib cage and make moving the patient a lot easier.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Associated injuries...the sternum lies over the mediastinum....