Sparky things you've done...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There's a lot of new EMTs out there, and some of the posts are making me laugh.

We've all been so sparky and ate up with EMS that we've done some silly things. From the POV lights to duct tape stretchers to personal lifepaks and gigantic batbelts ... what's the most "sparky", newbie thing you've done, something that you look back on and shake your head about?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
"Sir, I am lowering your socks and exposing your ankles so that the paramedic can place his leads when he comes."

Hey, they are labeled LL and RL.
shrug.gif

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I once drove with lights and siren blaring, from a nursing home... through a twisting series of parking lots, complete with numerous speedbumps ... to the hospital ED.

In the middle of the night.

I though the hospital was a greater distance than the 500 yards it took me to get there...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There's a lot of new EMTs out there, and some of the posts are making me laugh.

We've all been so sparky and ate up with EMS that we've done some silly things. From the POV lights to duct tape stretchers to personal lifepaks and gigantic batbelts ... what's the most "sparky", newbie thing you've done, something that you look back on and shake your head about?

I did the bat belt thing......with a one-piece jump suit.

Angel

Paramedic
I worked at an IFT company and for some reason thought it was necessary to carry trauma shears and a roll of tape in the side pockets (they have little sections for it i guess) well after a couple shifts i realized the tape was beaten up and disgusting, and I literally had never used my trauma shears (maybe once to cut off a hospital bracelet)...
thats about as rickey rescue as ive got

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
A while ago in spite of my whackerism as a new emt, I bought a refurbished philips heartstart hs1 AED. A few weeks later, after suffering severe buyers remorse, I decided that the best thing to do with it would be to leave it at my parents house, as my dad is out of shape and has coronary artery disease. I now have the task of keeping the damn thing maintained, in addition making sure my family gets thier cpr recert when its due. But someday i guess it could save my old man's life.

nick Joseph

Forum Crew Member
First call I was ever lead on I told an african american gentlemen , " we have to transport you because you are a minority " yahhhhhhhhhhhh. i'm pretty sure I meant minor.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Drove unaware I left the lights on for a about 10 minutes thinking people actually where use the fast lane as designed as a passing lane. Got off the freeway and realized it when all the cross traffic who had the green light was stopped.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Drove unaware I left the lights on for a about 10 minutes thinking people actually where use the fast lane as designed as a passing lane. Got off the freeway and realized it when all the cross traffic who had the green light was stopped.

I think I did that, too.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
When work found out I was taking the EMT class, they offered to pay for me to setup my own jump bag that I could use at work if something happened. (mind you work is 2 counties over from the department I volunteer with).

So I spent a couple hours on amazon setting up a descent BLS jump bag to include OPA/NPA, BVM, gloves, steth, BP cuff, basic trauma supplies(4x4's, some rolled gauze, TQ, etc..), etc...

Granted, I hadn't even started class at that point. Come the 3-4th night of class and we go over legal to include scope of practice. After that, the idea kind of waned.

cprted

Forum Captain
We've all done that ;)

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I worked at an IFT company and for some reason thought it was necessary to carry trauma shears and a roll of tape in the side pockets (they have little sections for it i guess) well after a couple shifts i realized the tape was beaten up and disgusting, and I literally had never used my trauma shears (maybe once to cut off a hospital bracelet)...
thats about as rickey rescue as ive got

I have to say tape and scissors of some kind are some of the only items I carry, along with some pens , a sharpie and a few flushes. Whenever I don't have tape or shears I end up wishing I did. But not usually for dramatic life saving trauma care. Usually just cutting something random or securing something.

Angel

Paramedic
shears are a must have in 911, but transfers? not really. I actually remember one time I got my leg caught as I was getting out the ambulance and they cut/ripped a gigantic hole in my right pocket. I had to get them re-sewn for like $20. Way more trouble than its worth

JeffT

Forum Probie
still in EMR class at this point in time, but I see some of you are mentioning gear... I currently work as a Steward II in a Kitchen (basically the lead guy in charge of the dish pit and doing oddball jobs that the head chef doesn't want to get their hands dirty with like spending hours in a walk in fridge cleaning mold off of shelves or in the freezer scraping blood off of the floor and walls that bled from the meat locker next to it). One thing I've found invaluable in working with pots and pans regularly 40-60 hours a week is my own personal set of cut gloves with an ansi rating of 5. Before I got em my hands would be completely shredded with all sorts of oozy wounds, dish pan hands, and callouses and blisters galore... I've read on some forums and blogs that some folks use em to do weeding and gardening type of stuff. I plan to keep em handy when I pass the class and test since I suspect they'd be helpful for 'scene safety'. Would never wear em to test pulse or something, but I've tried it on myself just to see if it does work, and yep, I can feel my own pulse through em with rubber glove layer both above and below... but I wouldn't dare try it on a real patient though. However, for dealing with places that there could be sharp edges, like a car accident, accident in the wild, etc. it might be handy?

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
still in EMR class at this point in time, but I see some of you are mentioning gear... I currently work as a Steward II in a Kitchen (basically the lead guy in charge of the dish pit and doing oddball jobs that the head chef doesn't want to get their hands dirty with like spending hours in a walk in fridge cleaning mold off of shelves or in the freezer scraping blood off of the floor and walls that bled from the meat locker next to it). One thing I've found invaluable in working with pots and pans regularly 40-60 hours a week is my own personal set of cut gloves with an ansi rating of 5. Before I got em my hands would be completely shredded with all sorts of oozy wounds, dish pan hands, and callouses and blisters galore... I've read on some forums and blogs that some folks use em to do weeding and gardening type of stuff. I plan to keep em handy when I pass the class and test since I suspect they'd be helpful for 'scene safety'. Would never wear em to test pulse or something, but I've tried it on myself just to see if it does work, and yep, I can feel my own pulse through em with rubber glove layer both above and below... but I wouldn't dare try it on a real patient though. However, for dealing with places that there could be sharp edges, like a car accident, accident in the wild, etc. it might be handy?

Sure. I mean, any department you are with will be giving you protective gear for MVAs but no harm in having these on hand.