Some misconceptions about the role of an EMT off duty

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
This is an older thread... but let me get this straight. Do some of you really think that others of us are less of EMTs because we leave the job when we clock out? That you think less of someone because all we are willing to do is phone in an accident? I'm just not willing to risk my safety to help someone I don't know when I'm not on the clock. EMS is just a job, not a lifestyle

Yes. I will help someone if they fall out and have no ROSC. But I'm not giving breaths. Compression only CPR is just fine, and in fact it's getting taught more and more to laypeople.

I do carry a small kit, but like I've said in the past, there are no gloves and it's only for my use on myself when i'm offroad and out in the wilderness.

EMS/LEO505, toss me a PM if you would about your experience with lawyers and NM EMS helping off duty. I'm kinda curious about this from your perspective.

I for one agree with your position. The risks far outweigh the rewards when getting involved in off duty treatment. While we are covered under Samaritan laws, that doesn't stop a lawyer from suing you anyways. You would still have to hire an attorney to attempt to get a lawsuit dismissed. You also risk losing your medic license should you do something wrong while providing care. Then there are the issues of scene safety considerations(i.e. traffic at MVA). My philosophy in regards to off duty involvement is much the same as when I carry my CCW- Make a good witness and not a dead hero. There are known cases of off duty firefighters and medics who were killed or severely injured trying to help out on MVA's. Our jobs are dangerous enough on duty, let alone off duty.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I for one agree with your position. The risks far outweigh the rewards when getting involved in off duty treatment. While we are covered under Samaritan laws, that doesn't stop a lawyer from suing you anyways. You would still have to hire an attorney to attempt to get a lawsuit dismissed. You also risk losing your medic license should you do something wrong while providing care. Then there are the issues of scene safety considerations(i.e. traffic at MVA). My philosophy in regards to off duty involvement is much the same as when I carry my CCW- Make a good witness and not a dead hero. There are known cases of off duty firefighters and medics who were killed or severely injured trying to help out on MVA's. Our jobs are dangerous enough on duty, let alone off duty.
You put it much better than I did :) And another CCW holder who has that idea. I got reamed on GlockTalk for stating that type of opinion.