Some misconceptions about the role of an EMT off duty

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Since I've become an EMT (not working yet but hopefully soon), my family and friends are always asking me for advice on what to do in case of emergency. The misconception is that I'll be able to manage the emergency and save a life. Well, the best thing I told them to do was call 911! My girlfriend said, "What if someone gets hurt in public and you're there?" 911, I said. Unless I'm carrying a med bag with me but I doubt I'm allowed to carry a mini O2 tank :) with a nonrebreather / bag valve mask.

Without the proper tools (O2, bandages), short of CPR there isn't much I can do. Another thing they did'nt know was BSI / Scene safety. They always thought that EMTs run towards the problem with blatant disregard for his or herself.

It's interesting the stuff I picked up on in the EMT class. These were all my misunderstandings as well. Anyone feel the same?

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey Redbull, as I have posted before, I make a point of carrying my facemask. That way, if I am some where where people know me, I can rescue breathe.

If I were among strangers, I would conisder helping beyond calling 911, under certain circumstances.

If I were in the wilderness or under some circumstances where no response of any kind was available, then I would consider improvising....

Explain to your family and gf that:

1) under NYS Law you are under no obligation to render any aid. Even call 911.

2) EMTs work under medical direction and control, outside of that, we are only qualified to do CPR.

3) EMTs don't really (directly) save lives, per my instructor, they apply certain interventions which sustain life, or keep people in the condition they were found in, and package them to get to the hospital where their lives are saved. Of course if an EMT does not respond, the person may die, but they do not 'save' them meaning put them in a condiotn they can get up and go home.....

Redbull, dude, check your pm's, I sent you names and addresses of three places in Queens.........one of which you said you could'nt find......

IMHO, carry your face mask, always have your mobile phone, and deal with it as it comes.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS professionals at any level should be able to improve the outcome of some emergencies just because of our experience dealing with emergencies. We're supposed to be able to size-up a scene, do a preliminary assessment, position and protect the patient, follow the ABCs, get at least some of the history, and present the case to responding units -- even without equipment. 'Course we'd also have to be willing to do those things when we're off duty. To me, that's a no-brainer.

dave3189

Forum Crew Member
This issue has plagued many EMS/Fire and Law Enforcement professionals for many years. We are all proud of what we do and our skill sets as to how we can help people, even when off duty. That being said, especially for new EMS people, you have to be careful of the "John Wayne" syndrome. Bottom line, at an MVC for example, we all know how dangerous it is to be out in traffic without the advantage of L.E. on scene and not wearing reflective vests. At a medical emergency, we all have a tendency to want to start an assessment because that is what we are trained to do. What I try to remind myself is in these situations where I can be the most help is in facilitating the "recognition and early access" component that is so vital in any EMS or rescue scenario. For example, if I witnessed or was on scene (off-duty) at an MVC with significant MOI (IE: Roll Over) I would call 911 even if someone else had already called. I would make sure the location was correct and would advise the 911 Operator that I was an off duty FF/EMT and that based on the mechanism, that a Medic unit would be required. These are the ways that we can make a difference without climbing in a crumped up vehicle without PPE. The one scenario I will always get involved with of course is SCA/CPR. Not sure we all need jump kits in our POVs but a pocket mask is always a good bet!

Saytuck99

Forum Crew Member
Interesting...

This is an interesting topic...one the I am sure has been beat to death but here is an interesting spin...For those of us in an all volunteer system... we are never "off duty". While most of the time we do have one designated crew at the building for calls it is routine that a page comes out for backup. We respond from home...in fact providers are encouraged to respond to the scene (drivers will respond and pick up a rig)...so everyone has a "jump bag".

Often times the people responding from home in their personal vehielces beat the ambulance and begin to treat which can and has made the difference.

That being said...in our area of "all volunteer" should we not respond if we are on our way to work and out of district and happen upon a scene where we can be of assistance??...does the boundry of a town line dictate whether you get out of your car or not? I am not sure...I do not take a position on this as I am too new to the field...but it is an interesting question...

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Saytuck,
Long Islander here too. I've stopped at accidents in other towns and have never had a problem. Especially since the last time I did it I was in a marked FD vehicle. Everyone looked at me as I passed the scene so I figured I'd better turn around and do something so my dept. didn't look like a bunch of dirtbags. If your ALS though per Suffolk County protocols the dept. who's district call is in has to request your assistance through medical control , otherwise you can only work as BLS.

Saytuck99

Forum Crew Member
Saytuck,
Long Islander here too. I've stopped at accidents in other towns and have never had a problem. Especially since the last time I did it I was in a marked FD vehicle. Everyone looked at me as I passed the scene so I figured I'd better turn around and do something so my dept. didn't look like a bunch of dirtbags. If your ALS though per Suffolk County protocols the dept. who's district call is in has to request your assistance through medical control , otherwise you can only work as BLS.

Yep...I am aware of the ALS protocols...sounds ridiculous to me...but I am taking a CC class in the fall so I am sure I will find out why they do this..Yea never figured it would be a problem...I suppose since we do not do it as a profession and volunteers are the only option here it is a bit different then the rest of the country...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
EMS professionals at any level should be able to improve the outcome of some emergencies just because of our experience dealing with emergencies. We're supposed to be able to size-up a scene, do a preliminary assessment, position and protect the patient, follow the ABCs, get at least some of the history, and present the case to responding units -- even without equipment. 'Course we'd also have to be willing to do those things when we're off duty. To me, that's a no-brainer.

Beyond this, it's simply a case-by-case judgment as to the level you choose to perform. Another thing that doesn't get addressed is #1 I think that we, as trained professionals should START by coming upon a scene and quietly (without the "Nobody move I'm a Medic!!!") assess the severity of the situation and the need for immediate intervention or not. And just having use of a cell phone does not let you off the hook for taking any other action

dave3189

Forum Crew Member
All good points that you make! I work in a combo Dept of Career/Part Paid so I understand what you're saying. If you're responding in a POV, hopefully you at least have a green light, flares and a reflective vest in addition to your jump bag.

dave3189

Forum Crew Member
FireTender, I agree with you to a point. Within the boudries of operating safely, I don't care about duty to act laws, I'm going to be part of the solution and help where I can.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Saytuck,
You doing CC through county or community college? If so which county? I just finished mine through Suffolk EMS. Feel free to PM me or ask here anything you might be wondering about. No matter where you take it, you should have some fun.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
If your ALS though per Suffolk County protocols the dept. who's district call is in has to request your assistance through medical control , otherwise you can only work as BLS.

Actually, the "home" agency can request your participation directly, without going through medical control, assuming you are already authorized to operate as an ALS provider elsewhere within SCEMS.

Saytuck99

Forum Crew Member
Saytuck,
You doing CC through county or community college? If so which county? I just finished mine through Suffolk EMS. Feel free to PM me or ask here anything you might be wondering about. No matter where you take it, you should have some fun.

At the Dennison building...Start Sunday

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
just having use of a cell phone does not let you off the hook for taking any other action

+1

I don't quite get the "I'll call 911 and wait" attitude many take, even when it's a bad situation. In an MVA with significant trauma I can't see me standing around with my thumbs up my butt when I could at least ensure occupants/ejectants are breathing, that severe bleeding is controlled, and at least a rudimentary triage has been completed and ready to pass on to the responders. And this doesn't require a jump kit or flashing lights. Just the knowledge we already have, some improvisation, and a willingness to help folks in need. And I figured we all had that or we wouldn't be here. It ain't like we chose this field for the money or the glory. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
In New Mexico, get outta there quick. If an ambulance chaser found out that an off duty EMT was there and the person died or didn't recover fully because the off duty couldn't treat them properly (since we don't carry a whole bus of stuff with us) they will try suing you lol and knowing the state judicial system here, it would probably work.....