Some advice please

TYPO

Forum Probie
Hello all. This is my first post. I just became a EMT-B and am awaiting my state license. I will be attending a phlebotomy/EKG course in september and would like to become a ER tech. My goal is to become a medic eventually but I would like to spend some time as EMT-B before I do. By taking the phlebotomy class would it still be necc. to become EMT-I or would it be best to go straight to medic?

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Case & point: Nobody should waste their time on the intermediate level. It should only be implemented in extremely rural areas (like it was intended to). Go straight to Paramedic.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The general consensus is go straight to medic.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
skip I, go P asap.

OP
OP
T

TYPO

Forum Probie
Thanks. I just want to do well at this and want to go about it the right way. I want to stay as an EMT-B for a while cuz I really want to have the basics locked in before I take the next step. EMT-B was challenging for me cuz I'm a chef by trade so this is all new to me I have a new found respect for the people that do this. Thanx again for the advice.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This is interesting, although I agree with the consensus of others; I believe you will see a shift. As one that has thought maybe, we rid ourselves of this level.....

I have been contacted by several EMS Administrators to "revamp" the Intermediate/Advanced EMT program. Although I am not a fan of it from the conception; I believe it will make a "come back" for several reasons.

The ability to place Advanced EMT with a Paramedic and cut costs.

The ability to still "bill" for ALS to Medicare, Insurance Companies (as long as the basic does are not allowed to intubate).

With economical crunches there are going to be more and more discussion and movements to make changes to increase revenue and reduce costs.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
Thanks. I just want to do well at this and want to go about it the right way. I want to stay as an EMT-B for a while cuz I really want to have the basics locked in before I take the next step. EMT-B was challenging for me cuz I'm a chef by trade so this is all new to me I have a new found respect for the people that do this. Thanx again for the advice.

I was in Medic class before I even got my EMT cert. I don't feel that there was anything experience as an EMT would have taught me that i didn't learn while working as a basic during school and doing ride outs as a medic student.

All you are doing by waiting is denying yourself that pay raise and making medic school more difficult for yourself.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I see nothong wrong with taking the phlebotomy/ekg course and working as an ER tech while becoming a medic. I felt the ER was the best place to learn emergency medicine. I enjoyed my ER rotations much more than the ALS rotations.

SemiMedic

Forum Probie
Go P!!! lol It's worth it. If money and mental structure allowed I'd be starting my P course in 6 months. However, do it while you can!