SO CAL EMTS IN THE Gardena AREA!!!!!

ollie

Forum Crew Member
i had a ride along on thursday and had 2 calls both Als and had a bad expirience with Gardena Memorial Hospital. has any one else had a bad expirience with that hospital in my opinion its under staffed with unqualified people in the ER one EMT told me not to be a patient here cuz id end up dieing waiting for a nurse to see me and he was right we had a patient complaining of Abdominal pain, foley catheter in him he had a leak we had to wait for 3 hours to get a nurse i felt horrible for this guy :sad:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Time for one of my infamous lists.

1. Sorry, I find it hard to take criticism seriously from someone who doesn't know how to capitalize the first word of every sentence.

2. Really, who cares about your opinion of how the staff operates? You're a student. It would be like me walking up to an attending and telling them that they're wrong based on my education as an OMS1.

3. Any chance that maybe, just maybe Gardena was overloaded with patients and didn't have the room nor the staff to transfer care yet? Did the paramedics attempt to actually treat the patients pain (even if it meant contacting a base hospital... LA Co protocols are a pain in the butt to read and understand)?

4. Was the only issue with the hospital the fact that you had to wait 3 hours?

terrible one

Always wandering
Welcome to LAco hospitals.
Gardena has a bad rep but once you get to know them they arent so bad. Most ERs in LAco are overloaded with patients (not their fault) and it is hard to pay for more staff when your cliental doesn't pay their bills

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh, yea... and 5. Just wait till you take someone to Bellflower Medical Center during that 15 minute window every 2 hours that they're forced to open up. It's kinda of hard to take new patients when all three of their beds are already occupied. Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital is another fun hospital since, unless the patient is serious, most ambulance patients are triaged in line with lobby patients.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

ollie

Forum Crew Member
Time for one of my infamous lists.

1. Sorry, I find it hard to take criticism seriously from someone who doesn't know how to capitalize the first word of every sentence.

2. Really, who cares about your opinion of how the staff operates? You're a student. It would be like me walking up to an attending and telling them that they're wrong based on my education as an OMS1.

3. Any chance that maybe, just maybe Gardena was overloaded with patients and didn't have the room nor the staff to transfer care yet? Did the paramedics attempt to actually treat the patients pain (even if it meant contacting a base hospital... LA Co protocols are a pain in the butt to read and understand)?

4. Was the only issue with the hospital the fact that you had to wait 3 hours?

1. sorry it was late at night
2. saw a nurse doing compressions on a guy the wrong way(oval like a massage instead of up and down)not ask for help when she oviosly needed it and say the guy was fine
3.when we got there , i saw beds and there looked to be 1 nurse in charge because noone else stepped up to triage our guy
4. there was other things that i did not like that i cant talk about sorry.
P.S. sorry if i rubbed you the wrong way but try not to be so rude please

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
As a student, you're not really allowed to complain about the way someone else does their job. I agree with everything JPINFV said.

The Gardena hospital is often overbooked with guests. This isn't to the fault of any of the staff there, as none of them put them in the hospital in the first place. You'll find that as an EMT, especially working where we work, you will often find yourself waiting to transfer care in a hospital for hours. If this experience angers you this much, then maybe this isn't the profession for you.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was born in it's predecessor building.

Not sure even after looking as their website, but it used to be one of the private chain of the Braughtman (sp?) Group. Private hospitals, especially small one like GM, can be less than stellar in their depth and breadth of staffing. Their proximity to the LA Strip and SoCentral/Athens Hill areas as well as Vermont and Redondo Beach Blvds and the Harbor Fwy also mean potential incomings they probably are not really qualified to handle.
I'm not saying you did or didn't see something, but you should be sure to take it up with your preceptors.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Welcome to the stellar ER care of LACo. 3 hours? not too bad compared to the 6 or 7 hour wall waits at PIH, for a BLS ambo pt. Ever been to East LA Doctors? Makes GMH look like a first rate trauma center.

JPINFV

Gadfly
not too bad compared to the 6 or 7 hour wall waits at PIH, for a BLS ambo pt.

I still get chills thinking about Royal Court Health Care to PIH ER.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
I still get chills thinking about Royal Court Health Care to PIH ER.
You mean the whole 200 yard transport? I honestly don't know why haven't just built a tunnel connecting them together.

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital is another fun hospital since, unless the patient is serious, most ambulance patients are triaged in line with lobby patients.

As they should be.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As they should be.

That's great... provided that they fully transfer care from the ambulance crew to triage.

...and just checking. You'll accept the same for patients transported with paramedics provided the patient isn't actively dieing?