Snakebites

TripperAdam

Forum Probie
:blink:

That was quite alot more graphic than I expected, though nothing I couldn't handle.
I never thought that snake venom would cause muscle inflammation to that extreme-- such that when cut open, his soft tissue "spilled out" like that...
Quite a remarkable website to stumble upon and share, thanks.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Although he claims that he did not suffer from any significant loss, that is still very terrible that he was bitten like that. Now that's a story to tell, no wonder he made a website about it.

What happened to his arm was unbelievable, I would never expect that from a snake bite. I wonder if the prehospital care was any good, and maybe if he had some treatment right when it happened if that may have helped.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First the graphic part was not the snakebite. The purple part was the snake bite, the opening and fillet of the arm was produced by a surgical procedure called fasciotomy, to reduce pressure and remove necrosed tissue. This routinely performed on injuries that develop compartment syndrome usually caused by crushing injuries. However, necrosed tissue can produce swelling, increased by pus, and gas (ever heard of gaseous gangrene?). Internal compartments are measured by a device that is attached to a needle inserted into the extremity to measure the pressure reading called tonometer.

R/r 911