Smart watches on shift?

Por Vida

Forum Ride Along
Hey All,

Has anyone had experience with a Smart watch (like apple or others) in the field? If so could you run off some pro's and con's. I'm asking because my wife works for apple and has been wanting to get me a watch for some time now. But I'd rather not spend the money on something I won't utilize.

Thanks

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I wore a Fitbit for a while (it's the smartest watch I've owned), but it would count mad steps in the back of the rig so now I only wear it when I sleep or do cardio.

I'm pretty technologically inept so the Apple watch is terrifying to me. I'd also be afraid of getting all sorts of nasty on something fancy like that and not be able to drown it in clavicide like I do with my cheapo Target watch.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have an LG Watch R. But i bought it for every day use not just work. It has a few features which are nice for work (a time stamp program for instance) but honestly, its main use is as a watch.

OP
OP
Por Vida

Por Vida

Forum Ride Along
I wore a Fitbit for a while (it's the smartest watch I've owned), but it would count mad steps in the back of the rig so now I only wear it when I sleep or do cardio.

I'm pretty technologically inept so the Apple watch is terrifying to me. I'd also be afraid of getting all sorts of nasty on something fancy like that and not be able to drown it in clavicide like I do with my cheapo Target watch.
Thanks for he feed back! That's my biggest concern with it as well. I know they are water proof but, I don't know about the chemical aspect of that.

nater

Forum Crew Member
I have a Samsung smart watch. One thing to be careful of is how long the screen stays on and displays a second hand. Samsung recently updated it and inserted an option to set the time for the screen to stay lit. I had a fit it that displayed seconds, but only stayed on for 7 seconds. That isn't always enough time to make a good assessment.

OP
OP
Por Vida

Por Vida

Forum Ride Along
I have a Samsung smart watch. One thing to be careful of is how long the screen stays on and displays a second hand. Samsung recently updated it and inserted an option to set the time for the screen to stay lit. I had a fit it that displayed seconds, but only stayed on for 7 seconds. That isn't always enough time to make a good assessment.
That never crossed my mind! Great point I'll have to look in to the specific models a little bit more. Thanks!

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
I wear a Pebble during work for that exact reason. Also keep in mind that the battery life on the Apple or android wear watches blow.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I have an Apple Watch and a Fitbit. The Fitbit is great if you have a job where you walk all day or climb stairs all day, but isn't great for the back of the rig.

The Apple Watch is nice, but is designed to be an extension of an iPhone, rather than a stand alone watch.