Small mechanical siren

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to spec out a new Type III ambulance for my company, and I really want an electro-mechanical siren mounted on the bumper as an addition to the electric siren. The problem I'm running into is that there don't seem to be many electro-mechanical sirens that are small enough to be mounted on the bumper of a Ford E-series or the equivalent Chevy chasis.

The only one I know of is the Timberwolf, which LAFD uses on their rescues - however, I've been told that they have a near 100% failure/repair rate.

I've already asked Wheeled Coach, and have been told that there simply isn't enough room for a Super Chief or Q2b (I know, I know - long shot, but I figured I'd ask B))

Does anyone know of any other electro-mechanical sirens that are small enough to be mounted on the standard Type III ambulance?

Thanks!
(x-posted to firehouse.com)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
May I ask why? Q2 are out of date, too loud for small cab/interior without possible damage to hearing. I presume you will be offer hearing devices such as head sets to prevent hearing damage or you can expect some litigation.

Personally, never liked them but I have not seen or heard of anyone with Q2 except on engine due to electrical drainage and again the extreme loudness can be directed away from the cab.

R/r 911

OP
OP
E

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
Well the main reason is that they are loud, and the sound waves penetrate better and to a further distance than electric sirens. It is mainly as a supplement to the electric siren, for intersection clearing, etc. We currently use airhorns in a hi-lo setup for that purpose, but they don't work all that well and we wanted to try something else.

And yes, we will likely be adding headsets for both front seats.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader